• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seaside Days Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I am planning a trip as a present for my Dad for Father's Day. (We will go midweek, a couple of weeks after.)

He always took us on the train to the seaside as kids and I thought we would have a day out just like old times (apart from no mk1s, locos, merrymaker trips etc!).

Ploughing my way through all of the websites, breaking journeys etc and realise even more how much easier it used to be. (Travelling from Sheffield to various seaside places - book one return ticket and it can cost three times more than splitting en route and travelling on the same trains! That really annoys me for starters - it should be easyto get the cheapest ticket/s - poor joe public who knows nack all about the railway stands little chance :( - rant over!).

Anyway a few questions - as a reasonable day out, where do people recommend, where I can get reasonable priced tix (Dad has a senior railcard). From Sheffield, travelling time of max 5 hours each way and a good 4 - 5 hours there.

So far I have thought of Whitby, Scarborough or Brid (but we do those often), Yarmouth, Llandudno, Southen, Clacton, Skeggy...any more ideas?

Does anyone know Llandudno well? Do the tramway and the cable car interconnect? Quite like the look of those!

Its certainly not easy like it was!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

Blackpool, Weymouth, Southend, Plymouth, Penzance (notably the latter two) would make good choices but Weymouth and Southend would require a stay over and them and Blackpool (possibly Penzance) will require changes.

Ivo

Established Member
Southport. Well within range of Sheffield and quite a classy place as well; also not too difficult to do by train (with only the one change at Piccadilly necessary). Note however that trains from Southport on Merseyrail appear to be terminating at Sandhills (and not running through Liverpool) on Sunday.

On the other hand, I would suggest that Skegness,Yarmouth and Clacton probably aren't worth it, and Southend is probably a bit too far.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Some other thoughts.

Morecambe - gives you a choice of routes from Sheffield - out via Leeds/Skipton, return via Preston/Manchester.

Brighton - one change at Bedford or St Pancras.

Weston Super Mud - depends on Advance tickets??

Clip

Established Member
Blackpool, Weymouth, Southend, Plymouth, Penzance (notably the latter two) would make good choices but Weymouth and Southend would require a stay over and them and Blackpool (possibly Penzance) will require changes.

I take it you really didnt read the OP at all - 5 hours max each way and 4-5 hours there :roll:

Id say anywhere on the north east coast from North shields up would be good. dont want to go south of the Tyne you know ;)

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Plumped for Llandudno.

Thanks for the input.

Not like when my Dad used to take me out 35 years ago - we had a choice of day excursion special trains most days over the summer - midweek and weekends. And these were in addition to the scheduled services!

gazthomas

Established Member
Plumped for Llandudno.

Thanks for the input.

Not like when my Dad used to take me out 35 years ago - we had a choice of day excursion special trains most days over the summer - midweek and weekends. And these were in addition to the scheduled services!

Good choice, definitely my favourite seaside town.

Established Member
Surprised no-one mentioned Cleethorpes, unless I've missed it. Easy enough to get to from Sheffield/Rotherham/Donny.

Status
Not open for further replies.