• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season from Pontypridd to Caerphilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrJamesBrown

Is this valid via the City Line?

The only reason I am asking this, is because I live in Fairwater, potentially going to university in Trefforest, and I have rehearsals in Caerphilly, so rather than paying £15.90 a week for Fairwater - Trefforest. I can have my journeys to Caerphilly paid for too :)

Thanks James

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Is this valid via the City Line?

The only reason I am asking this, is because I live in Fairwater, potentially going to university in Trefforest, and I have rehearsals in Caerphilly, so rather than paying £15.90 a week for Fairwater - Trefforest. I can have my journeys to Caerphilly paid for too :)

Thanks James

Yes. The Season is Route Any Permitted. So travel is allowed via City Line

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
yes that's correct. the season ticket you mention has no restrictions, you can travel to Caerphilly via either Landaff or Fairwater, and stop at every stop along the way if you like. :)

Last edited:

firespire

You should buy a Arriva Trains Wales Valleys Student Railcard as well to get the price down.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
And just to confirm, Starting late/Finishing early would be allowed?

Season tickets are marked as being "between Pontypridd and Caerphilly", rather than "from/to", to emphasise that they are valid anywhere between the stations of validity, any time, in any direction, and at any station.

You should buy a Arriva Trains Wales Valleys Student Railcard as well to get the price down.

A very good idea!

airwolf21

Not to be picky but any permitted is supposed to be the most direct/reasonable route as laid down in the fares manual. I can't imagine any of our guys picking you up on this apart from one or two....<(

tony_mac

Established Member
Not to be picky but any permitted is supposed to be the most direct/reasonable route as laid down in the fares manual. I can't imagine any of our guys picking you up on this apart from one or two...
before you set yorkie off....

Any Permitted doesn't mean 'the most direct/reasonable' route, and hasn't done for quite a few years!

It means either

the shortest route or
any direct train or
ANY of the routes allowed in the Routeing Guide

The routeing guide says that Caerphilly has 'Cardiff Central' as an associated routeing point; and a mapped route from Cardiff to Pontypridd.

Therefore it IS allowed to go to Cardiff Central, then take any train towards Pontypridd as normal.

(These are the official rules - and rail staff should really know about them, but we know that training is not good in this area).

It is also allowed by National Rail enquiries - so this is the official information that train companies give to the public.
Passengers should not really expect to have problems when doing something that they are (correctly) told is allowed - even if it is only 'one or two'!

w blocker

Just to add to this, I've got an Aberdare to Caerphilly annual season ticket and the five or six times I've tried to go through the gates at Cardiff Central the ticket has been rejected evey time!

Status
Not open for further replies.