• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Kintbury-Reading/Twyford anomaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have had a Kintbury-Reading season for 5 years. I now have to go to Twyford twice a week so idly looked at the season ticket calculator.

I have found that whilst Kintbury-Reading is £2216 which I currently pay, Kintbury-Twyford is £2168, despite Twyford being beyond Reading.

So, given that I could use the Twyford ticket to Reading, is there any reason why I shouldn't ask for a changeover, and then always get a Kintbury-Twyford in future. Is this just one of those anomalies, (and if so, why?)

Shame about the £250 I have 'overpaid' over the years...plus several Twyford-Reading tickets due to family living there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For maximum value get Kintbury to Henley on Thames : http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?...ert=on&flow=1&multi=1&fare=4&rte=1000&tkt=7DS

Yes you can get a changeover and buy this fare in future.

As for why? Well GWR have probably increased Seasons to Reading at a higher rate, maybe? There was certainly a time, under the old "fares basket" system where they would increase lucrative fares at a greater rate than other fares.

If they are allowed to increase the Twyford/Henley Season to match, they will do now that they know about it, but I think they might struggle to do it under the current arrangements.

I would urge all Season ticket holders to consider the price of alternative fares either side of their origin/destination to see if the price may be similar and maximise value. Sometimes it may be a little more to go further but you may do more leisure journeys in that direction so can be worth it.

Kintbury-Earley 2,120
Kintbury-Tilehurst 2,072

All as valid as my current Kintbury-Reading, but much cheaper. So if I lose the need to go to Twyford, buy to Tilehurst? Amazed/annoyed!

For maximum value get Kintbury to Henley on Thames : http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?...ert=on&flow=1&multi=1&fare=4&rte=1000&tkt=7DS

Yes you can get a changeover and buy this fare in future.

As for why? Well GWR have probably increased Seasons to Reading at a higher rate, maybe? There was certainly a time, under the old "fares basket" system where they would increase lucrative fares at a greater rate than other fares.

If they are allowed to increase the Twyford/Henley Season to match, they will do now that they know about it, but I think they might struggle to do it under the current arrangements.

I would urge all Season ticket holders to consider the price of alternative fares either side of their origin/destination to see if the price may be similar and maximise value. Sometimes it may be a little more to go further but you may do more leisure journeys in that direction so can be worth it.
Thanks for confirming and yes, I now would too!

JB_B

Established Member
Kintbury - Tilehurst now has different prices for seasons on route Any Permitted [00000] than for route Any - Permitted [01000]. (Quite a big difference in price for 1st seasons.)

What is going on there? Do they ever actually sell the more expensive tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.