• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Ticket advice London to Leatherhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

nux

Hi all,
Just moved to the UK and a bit confused with the season tickets.

I commute most days to Leatherhead from Clapham Junction, but usually with a short bus to Clapham Junction. I had bought Zone 2-6 to Leatherhead weekly ticket, and now going to move to monthly tickets.

A few questions:

1. Can I buy a Zone 1-6 to Leatherhead?
2. Can I use the above on weekends/after work to travel anywhere within Zone 1-6?
3. If not, what is my best option?
4. I can't seem to work out how to search for the prices of a non point to point ticket (one with Zone x to Station)?

And I'm guessing if I do the above, theres no way I can have a paper ticket for my daily commute and have the Zone 1-6 on my Oyster card as well, without buying a seperate one?

Cheers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
1) Yes, you can - although do you really need Zone 1 as well? Leatherhead-Z1-6 is £262.70/month, versus £201.30/month for Leatherhead-Z2-6. Bear in mind that buses are not "zoned" - any Travelcard is valid, so with a Z2-6 Travelcard you could travel into Z1 on a bus for free, or use Oyster PAYG on Tube/rail(Clapham Junction to any Z1 underground station is £2 off peak for example). If it's just for leisure travel I doubt that you'd spend more than £60/month using Oyster PAYG.
2) Yes - it's valid for unlimited travel at any time on trains, Tube, Tram and DLR anywhere in Zones 1-6, TfL buses anywhere and on National Rail routes on any permitted route and any stations between stations in Zones 1-6 and Leatherhead.
4) Use the National Rail season ticket calculator. To get Travelcard fares you must put Leatherhead as the "from" station.

island

Veteran Member
Welcome to the forum.

1. Yes you can. £66.40 a week or £255 a month if you only use Southern trains when you're outside London Zones 1-6; an extra £2 a week or £7.70 a month removes that restriction.
2. Yes.
3. N/A
4. On the season ticket calculator put in Leatherhead and a station in zone 1 and it will display the Leatherhead to London Zones 1-6 fare (along with Leatherhead to London Terminals).

You are correct that you cannot have the combination you suggested. Outboundary Travelcards are only issued as paper tickets.

Finally, don't buy monthly tickets unless you work irregular days. You can buy a ticket for any period between 1 month and 1 year, so if for example you work at a weekend you could get a 1 month 2 days ticket to cover you for 5 weeks, which works out slightly cheaper in the long run.

nux

Great thanks for the quick responses! Just what I needed to know. Looks like a Zone 2-6 is the best way to go in that case.
Here I was using my oyster for buses on weekends..

Status
Not open for further replies.