Season ticket and e-ticket split ticket journey

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by Fiyero, 13 Aug 2019.

1. Fiyero

Fiyero Member

I got a rough time on my last split ticket journey even though I was in the right so want to check my next one.

I have an Eastleigh - Winchester annual season ticket. After work tomorrow I want to go to from Winchester to Southampton Central (then end up back at Eastleigh at the end)

Can I just buy a Eastleigh - Southampton ticket on the SWR app? It will give me an e-ticket which works the gate at Southampton.

Am I right in thinking the train doesn’t have to stop at Eastleigh as one ticket is a season ticket? (Many pass Eastleigh)

Would the same be true on a Crosscountry train? (It would be a SWR Smart Card and SWR e-ticket)

Thanks!

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. alistairlees

alistairlees Established Member

This should all be fine, unless your ticket is somehow operator-specific. But if it's "Any Permitted" or similar then it will all be fine. There is no need for the train to stop at Eastleigh. I don't think there is anything other than "Any Permitted" for your routes anyway.

4. Merseysider

Merseysider Established Member Fares Advisor

Yes you can.
    That is correct.
    Yes.

5. Fiyero

Fiyero Member

Thank you both. I was sure I’d be ok on old fashioned paper tickets but didn’t know if a smart card and e-ticket would work the same :)

6. robbeech

robbeech Established Member

E-tickets work the same. There’s no reason any member of staff should have an issue with this. Of course, sadly there may be a few that have never taken the time to read the conditions of travel.

The only real caveat that I would suggest is important (though it probably wouldn’t really cause an issue unless there was disruption and you tried to make a delay repay claim) is please make sure that you’ve purchased the additional point to point ticket before you start your journey.

7. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The product is the same.

Whatatters to the contract is what product is held.

The medium on which a product is held does not matter, as long as you adhere to the conditions.

There are some staff who may claim otherwise, but they are mistaken.