• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket and Student Rail Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAX54

Established Member
I have been asked, if you can combine a student railcard discount and a season ticket ? A friend of the wife's wants to go Folkestone to Sandwich, I am assuming school terms only, so would be monthly seasons thnx

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LAX54

Established Member
OK, thankyou, looks like she will not be able to use a combination, it was just to and from college, and I know she is taking driving lessons, so may well just drive after passing her test.

superalbs

Established Member
You can use Railcard discounted tickets in conjunction with season tickets. But you cannot get Railcard discounted season tickets.
(my 1000th post!)

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Assuming that by “student Railcard” you are meaning “16-25 Railcard”, this cannot be used to discount a season ticket.

Certain discount cards issued to students can be used for discounts on certain season tickets, however.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
In certain cases, where a season ticket isn't much less than 5× the walkup Anytime (Day) Return - such as many set by Southeastern, West Midlands Trains etc. - and where the Anytime (Day) Return is above £12, getting 5 Railcard-discounted walk-up tickets each may be cheaper than a season ticket. Obviously you don't get the same flexibility (e.g. being able to use it for more than one return trip a day, or on the weekend) but in certain cases a lot of money can be saved in that way, plus you only pay for those days you travel and there can be no problem of fees for refunds or a high upfront cost.

Romilly

Established Member
Folkestone-Sandwich day returns are just under £12 so a 16-25 railcard will not (because of the £12 minimum fare) help on weekdays except in July/August, and except on weekdays in other months when outward travel starts at or after 10am.

LAX54

Established Member
Thansk for all your answers, I will pass the info on, why is nothing 'simple' on the Railway ? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.