• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket calculator not found journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cundy66

I am due to be doing some training near Luton Airport and as a spotter would like to have a season ticket between Bedford and Luton Airport including the shuttle bus.

I have got singles and returns but can't find season ticket. Should training complete well I would be working at the airport so need to see my options prior to any employment.

Can anyone tell me why this option isn't showing?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
They don't seem to offer season tickets to Luton Airport, presumably because Luton Airport isn't a station (whereas Luton Airport Parkway is) and to get to Luton Airport itself you would require a bus.

BR Fares is an excellent website that demonstrates the fares on offer. For Bedford to Luton Airport, there are indeed no season tickets, just a selection of walk-up fares. For Bedford to Luton Airport Parkway, there are indeed season tickets. (A quick search at a few others suggests that Bedford is not alone).

Presumably the logic is that most people going to the airport are traveling on flights, and therefore not regular travellers (although this would obviously ignore the large number of people who commute to Luton Airport to work, like yourself. Perhaps the bus operator doesn't want to accept railway season tickets? Perhaps it's just an oversight, in which case writing to Thameslink may* yield results.

So I think your best option would be to buy a ticket to Luton Airport Parkway, and pay the bus fare separately (£3.40 cash only, which is quite pricy and a bit of a pain). I can't see a season ticket for the bus, and sadly the Luton PLUSBUS specifically excludes the shuttle to the airport. Perhaps, since the bus is operated for the airport, your employer may be able to help? A quick search reveals the Luton Airport Staff Discount Travelcard, which may be of use to you. Of note, apparently you can get a 50% discount on the cost of your season ticket! I'm sure your employer can give you more information if you are eligible.

*I suspect not, but an e-mail doesn't cost much.

Last edited:

Cundy66

As far as I knew Thameslink have the bus as an extension as plus bus isn't valid on it only the rail ticket.

I know parkway is on the season ticket but it's just the between connection as it will get expensive with single or return fare on bus as plus bus not valid

najaB

Veteran Member
I know parkway is on the season ticket but it's just the between connection as it will get expensive with single or return fare on bus as plus bus not valid
Is there not a season or period ticket for the bus? I would've thought there would be given the number of people who travel to the airport as their place of employment.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Luton airport staff travel for free on the shuttle bus - just need to show their staff ID card.

me123

Established Member
^ I had thought something like that would be in place - in which case, you need only buy a season ticket to Parkway. And be sure to get your 50% off the season ticket when you start working. All the best with your training and new job :D

Status
Not open for further replies.