• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Ticket for 3days a week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark7144

Is it true you can get a season ticket specifically for travelling 3 days a week?

I travel 3 days a week FGW, Ealing Broadway > Burnham and assume an annual season ticket is not good for me.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

me123

Established Member
7 day = £48.50 = £16.17 a day
1 month = £186.30 = £14.33 a day (assuming you travel for 13 days in that month)
3 months = £558.80 = £14.32 a day (assuming 39 return journeys)
6 months = £1,117.50 = £14.14 a day (assuming 79 return journeys)
1 year = £1,940.00 = £12.43 a day (assuming 156 return journeys)

Anytime Day Return is £8.80.

Off Peak Day Return is £5.90.

Season tickets are definitley not the best option for you! As you suspected. Unless there's a "flexipass" ticket, which I can't find, you've got the cheapest tickets as it is, I'm afraid. You could, however, purchase a railcard if there's one that suits you, although that depends on the time you're travelling.

mark7144

What do you mean by "railcard"? Is that an alternative to a season ticket? I travel 8:30am.

me123

Established Member
In that case, a railcard wouldn't be suitable.

A railcard is basically a concessionary card. You can get quite a few, as seen here. It allows you to get 1/3 off the fare, but certain restrictions apply. To qualify, you must also fall into specific categories, eg aged between 16 and 25, aged 60+, registered disabled, and so on.

In your case, no railcards (except disabled persons) are valid on those services, so the best option is the Anytime Day Returns that you currently buy. :(

mark7144

That sucks, what's the best way to bulk buy tickets?

And I'm 22 so wouldn't that mean I can use the 16-26 railcard?

me123

Established Member
Yes, but not for your services. If you leave at 08.30am, the railcard gives a £16 minimum fare on your journey, which means you can't use it in your case. (as your ticket costs only £8.80)

However, this restriction does not apply in July and August, so for those two months, you can save yourself £3 a day. Assuming you travel 24 times in those two months, you could easily save £84, which more than justifies the £24 cost for those two months alone! Also, the restrictions are lifted on the occasional Bank Holiday Monday.

So you probably could use that, and it also lets you save on other rail journeys as well.

route:oxford

Established Member
I used to travel a few days a week from Stirling to Weegieland and had a "Carnet" ticket of 10 whereby I completed a date on a ticket for each single trip I made. I'm sure Scotrail still do them... Does anywhere else on the network?

Hopefully once Smartcards are rolled out across the mainland ticketing options will start to catch up more readily with the flexible working practices of many firms.

me123

Established Member
Scotrail do the Flexipass, which I assume is a renamed version of your Carnet. First Great Western, however, don't seem to do this ticket in the area needed.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
No idea for other operators but SWT is trialling Smartcards on the Windsor-Staines line, and Smartcard infrastructure is becoming quite abundant at many stations now, rollout network-wide is planned for 2009.

Matt

mark7144

I just ordered some tickets online (FirstGreatWestern website) for the same journey and they gave me a separate FastTicket machine reference for each ticket which I have to enter. Someone on this forum said it's one reference for several tickets so have I done something wrong?

No idea for other operators but SWT is trialling Smartcards on the Windsor-Staines line, and Smartcard infrastructure is becoming quite abundant at many stations now, rollout network-wide is planned for 2009.
What's your source? I couldn't find anything.

Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I just ordered some tickets online (FirstGreatWestern website) for the same journey and they gave me a separate FastTicket machine reference for each ticket which I have to enter. Someone on this forum said it's one reference for several tickets so have I done something wrong?

This is just normal I believe, don't worry!

Edvid

Established Member
If you purchase tickets via the NXEC site you'll get one reference code for each booking (5 tickets max.). For all Trainline-powered sites (FGW included) it is just one ticket per reference code.

metrocammel

Smartcard infrastructure is becoming quite abundant at many stations now, rollout network-wide is planned for 2009.

Are you sure?!

The only non-SWT / Oyster stations I know of that have any smart cards are those in the South Yorkshire PTEs 'Yorcard' scheme. That is only a handful of stations :s. Is there something fundamental I'm missing!?

glynn80

Established Member
With SWT's scheme this is starting to finally move along. With full introduction due in now in January 2009 they are currently quite behind (supposedly due to problems encountered with barrier introduction at Waterloo not supporting ITSO). I see many stations now have readers installed ready for introduction on the whole network, as opposed to just between Staines and Windsor which started in November.

Also to reply to metrocammel, EMT have ITSO smartcards specificed in their franchise as well.

djw1981

Established Member
There is a very good summary of the current state of Smartcard and iTSO technology in the latest Modern Railways, Informed Sources column.

mark7144

With SWT's scheme this is starting to finally move along. With full introduction due in now in January 2009 they are currently quite behind (supposedly due to problems encountered with barrier introduction at Waterloo not supporting ITSO). I see many stations now have readers installed ready for introduction on the whole network, as opposed to just between Staines and Windsor which started in November.

Also to reply to metrocammel, EMT have ITSO smartcards specificed in their franchise as well.

Does that mean it's quite likely that at some point this year, I'll be able to use the smartcard from Ealing Broadway to Burnham?

I had to order loads of tickets in advance over the phone and was quite dissapointed that FGW only let you order 3 months at a time.

metrocammel

Does that mean it's quite likely that at some point this year, I'll be able to use the smartcard from Ealing Broadway to Burnham?

I had to order loads of tickets in advance over the phone and was quite dissapointed that FGW only let you order 3 months at a time.

As the stations in question are fGW, I very much doubt it.

It's not just fGW who have the '3 month rule', it seems to be standard throughout the country / TOCs. Also, it's often pointless buying tickets that you can buy on the day month in advance. There's always unforeseen circumstances, job losses, illness etc- fair enough you can sometimes get a full refund on tickets if you have to cancel through illness, but otherwise, the TOC could charge an admin fee for each ticket you want refunding, which would be pointless if they cost around £10! Just think, if you have booked every day for 6 months, you'd be considerably out of pocked, if something unforeseen was to occur!! :s

mark7144

As the stations in question are fGW, I very much doubt it.

It's not just fGW who have the '3 month rule', it seems to be standard throughout the country / TOCs. Also, it's often pointless buying tickets that you can buy on the day month in advance. There's always unforeseen circumstances, job losses, illness etc- fair enough you can sometimes get a full refund on tickets if you have to cancel through illness, but otherwise, the TOC could charge an admin fee for each ticket you want refunding, which would be pointless if they cost around £10! Just think, if you have booked every day for 6 months, you'd be considerably out of pocked, if something unforeseen was to occur!! :s
The only real issue is holidays and I'm willing to sacrifice those types of savings for the convenience of buying all my tickets in advance. It's tough having to go from a season ticket to separate tickets but I get £500+ saving so it must be done :(

Status
Not open for further replies.