• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket HGR to WBY: Permitted stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helix

I currently travel on a season ticket (London, Not Underground) from Hither Green to West Byfleet via London Waterloo East/London Waterloo and know that I can use my season ticket for any intermediate stations.

I was recently advised by Southeastern ticket office that my season ticket wouldn't be valid on a journey from Hither Green to London Charing Cross. I bought a separate ticket for this journey but tried my season ticket at the barriers and it let me through.

I don't want to buy additional tickets for travel when I don't need to but can't find a complete list of permitted stations/routes for my season ticket. Is this available somewhere?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Welcome to the forum :)

It's valid on:
  • all the permitted routes between HGR and London, and
  • all the permitted routes between WBY and London
This absolutely does include travelling between Hither Green and Charing Cross.

The ticket office staff are making it up if they say it isn't valid.

Any route given by an accredited journey planner as valid on a through ticket is a permitted route; this should include all reasonable routes via London. If there is a particular route you are unsure about, let us know and we can advise.

hkstudent

Established Member
Welcome to the forum :)

It's valid on:
  • all the permitted routes between HGR and London, and
  • all the permitted routes between WBY and London
This absolutely does include travelling between Hither Green and Charing Cross.

The ticket office staff are making it up if they say it isn't valid.

Any route given by an accredited journey planner as valid on a through ticket is a permitted route; this should include all reasonable routes via London. If there is a particular route you are unsure about, let us know and we can advise.
Yorkie, would it be better for you to clarify what London Terminals are valid for this ticket?

Helix

Thanks very much for the helpful and quick replies.

Does that also mean that my season ticket is also valid at any time and on any day for travel from Hither Green to any intermediate stations on routes to Cannon Street, Blackfriars, Charing Cross, Waterloo East, Waterloo, Victoria and London Bridge (and Vauxhall?)? For example, on National Rail Enquiries there is a journey from Hither Green to Blackfriars as follows: Hither Green, Lewisham, Nunhead, Peckham Rye, Denmark Hill, Elephant & Castle, Blackfriars. Going via London Bridge is obviously a quicker route for this journey but does it mean that, in principle, this would be classed as a 'permitted route' for my season ticket on any day and at any time or could I only use my season ticket to travel to Denmark Hill on that particular route, on that day and at that time?

Sorry for the rather basic questions but I am really just trying to produce a list of all routes and intermediate stations that are permitted so that I can maximise the use my season ticket.

hkstudent

Established Member
Thanks very much for the helpful and quick replies.

Does that also mean that my season ticket is also valid at any time and on any day for travel from Hither Green to any intermediate stations on routes to Cannon Street, Blackfriars, Charing Cross, Waterloo East, Waterloo, Victoria and London Bridge (and Vauxhall?)? For example, on National Rail Enquiries there is a journey from Hither Green to Blackfriars as follows: Hither Green, Lewisham, Nunhead, Peckham Rye, Denmark Hill, Elephant & Castle, Blackfriars. Going via London Bridge is obviously a quicker route for this journey but does it mean that, in principle, this would be classed as a 'permitted route' for my season ticket on any day and at any time or could I only use my season ticket to travel to Denmark Hill on that particular route, on that day and at that time?

Sorry for the rather basic questions but I am really just trying to produce a list of all routes and intermediate stations that are permitted so that I can maximise the use my season ticket.
To OP: Yes, you can break the journey at those stations by any service calling at the station at any time.

To others:

I would like to see whether Clapham High Street and Wandsworth Road are also permitted as there is a parliamentary dailly service from Denmark Hill to Victoria via these stations.

And, would Queen's Road Peckham and South Bermondsey (for London Bridge by Southern) be permitted under 3 miles rule?

Also, would via Tulse Hill and Streatham / Ballham be permitted?

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
i would like to see whether Clapham High Street and Wandsworth Road are also permitted as there is a parliamentary dailly service from Denmark Hill to Victoria via these stations.
And, would Queen's Road Peckham and South Bermondsey (for London Bridge by Southern) be permitted under 3 miles rule?

Yes Trainline seems to think so.

Screenshot_20191114-140702.jpg

cactustwirly

Established Member
To OP: Yes, you can break the journey at those stations by any service calling at the station at any time.

To others: I would like to see whether Clapham High Street and Wandsworth Road are also permitted as there is a parliamentary dailly service from Denmark Hill to Victoria via these stations.

Surely Clapham High Street would be a permitted route anyway, to OP could get LO to Clapham Junction for a train to West Byfleet?

Veteran Member
Except from the fact it is routed LONDON NOT UNDERGROUND
Underground, Overground.... important difference there :)

Without looking at any maps, Peckham Rye - Wimbledon via Tulse Hill seems likely, and via Balham (and West Norwood) possible.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It also avoids London Terminals doesn't it though?
Going via the specified point (“London” in this case) is not compulsory where the permitted routes to and from the via point coincide short of it, especially where a season ticket is held.

hkstudent

Established Member
Underground, Overground.... important difference there :)

Without looking at any maps, Peckham Rye - Wimbledon via Tulse Hill seems likely, and via Balham (and West Norwood) possible.
Isn't west Norwood too far already?
I was thinking of Via Balham was for via Streatham hill

Veteran Member
Would it be beyond 3-mile distnace from shortest route (via Waterloo)?
Probably. I can get NRE to allow via Streatham but not via West Norwood.
LBG to WBY via Blackfriars and Herne Hill is shorter than via Peckham Rye, so you can add Loughborough Jn and Herne Hill to the list in exchange for the Balham route (which I was doubtful about).

Status
Not open for further replies.