• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season Ticket Increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellendel

I've just recently checked the cost of purchasing an annual season ticket compared to a monthly ticket to find that the price has increased by 9% across the board. Has the 'simplification' of the tickets affected the cost? I'm sure I read somewhere that season ticket prices weren't increasing this year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furryfeet

Two theories on how the TOCs have managed to lever your price increase up to 9%
a) by making use of the fact that the AVERAGE percentage increase is the figure that is regulated i.e. the TOC reduces the price of say Dover to Buggleskelly ( which no-one uses ) and at the same time increases Dover to London, which is uses by loads of people by MORE than the average figure.
This is what happened in Jan 2008 - the average % was 4.8% ( rpi + 1% ) but some season tickets went up by as much as 9.6%

b) if the said season ticket is 1st class, by increasing the multiplier relative to 2nd class.
Only 2nd class seasons are regulated.
This is exactly what Arriva XC did in May 2008 when they changed the multiplier from 1.5 to 1.7 and inflicted a 13% increase overnight.

It would be most interesting to find out if the increase was in Sep 2008 - more ammunition for those who are looking for evidence of "back-door" rises under the cover of simplification.

Put the details of where your ticket is from & to and i am sure that someone will be able to give more details of how, when and possibly why !

Kellendel

Just purchased my 2nd class season ticket and also found the plus bus part has gone up as well.

THe train part cost £100.30 in August and today costs £109.50.
The bus part cost £32.50 in August and today costs £38.00.

This is on trains between Llansamlet and Cardiff. I expect the increase is related to the change of cost between getting a train from Llansamlet or Neath as it is the same now but was different last time I checked.

No matter what I have to drive to either station with Neath being slightly further but I'll probably start thinking about driving to work instead now.

Status
Not open for further replies.