• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket on an EMR smartcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

STINT47

I have purchased a seven day season ticket and loaded it on to an EMR smartcard. Can anyone tell me if I still need to carry my photocard with me?

I assumed that you do but at no point when buying it on the website, loading the ticket on my android phone or on the confirmation email did it ask for my photocard number or advise that I need to carry one.

I will keep carrying it for now but it would be nice to ditch it if this is allowed. Incidentally if it still needs to be carried then it should be made clear as it did not mention it at any point and I could see someone getting into trouble if stopped.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scott1

You still need to carry a photo card at the moment. Operator's are planning on introducing a smart card that includes your photo printed on the smart card, but it isn't available on EMR at the moment. When/if that'll change is a bit of a 'how longs a price of string' question unfortunately.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
You still need to carry a photo card at the moment. Operator's are planning on introducing a smart card that includes your photo printed on the smart card, but it isn't available on EMR at the moment. When/if that'll change is a bit of a 'how longs a price of string' question unfortunately.

Did not the early incarnation of at least one of the TOCs smartcards require a photo which I assume was printed on the card... maybe it was Southern?

In the early ITSO days I'm pretty sure I remember thinking I'd order a free smartcard, more out of curiosity than anything, but then giving up when a digital photo was requested as I couldn't be bothered to find a half-decent mugshot,

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Interesting that EMR still insist on a photocard because that's very different to the Avanti smartcard where you only have to have a form of ID on you.
https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/tickets-and-savings/ticket-types/smartcards
Please note: you will need to carry either photo id, a payment card or another form of id as proof of identity when you travel. If you have any issues please ask a member of staff for assistance.

janb

Yep, Northern don't require a photocard either

Does my Smart card replace my existing photocard?
You don’t need a photocard to accompany your season ticket, but you might be asked to show another form of identification by the revenue protection team.

LowLevel

Established Member
Yep, Northern don't require a photocard either

Which causes problems where EMR and Northern interface because EMR ticket inspectors aren't issued a list of TOCs that do and don't require photocards with smartcards, assume everyone still works in the same standard way (which of course they should, either requiring the photocard or not) and thus arguments ensue between ticket holders and inspectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.