• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket part exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Hi All,

A family member decided to start buying weekly season tickets but as she didn't have a photocard and the Northern station ticket office wasn't open she got a promise to pay at the station and bought a single ticket from a Northern guard on the train with cash.

When she got to her destination, which is a Virgin Trains station - she asked about getting the cost of the already purchased ticket deducted from the season ticket but she was told it was not possible to get the money reimbursed.

I seem to recall someone saying there is a procedure for getting an already paid fare deducted from a season ticket?

Is this still the case?

Also shouldn't the Virgin Trains station in question be expected to be able to exchange any single or return ticket for a more appropriate ticket if it is a Northern penalty fare station and a passenger has travelled from another Penalty Fare station with limited ticket facilities.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi All,

A family member decided to start buying weekly season tickets but as she didn't have a photocard and the Northern station ticket office wasn't open she got a promise to pay at the station and bought a single ticket from a Northern guard on the train with cash.

When she got to her destination, which is a Virgin Trains station - she asked about getting the cost of the already purchased ticket deducted from the season ticket but she was told it was not possible to get the money reimbursed.

I seem to recall someone saying there is a procedure for getting an already paid fare deducted from a season ticket?

Is this still the case?

Also shouldn't the Virgin Trains station in question be expected to be able to exchange any single or return ticket for a more appropriate ticket if it is a Northern penalty fare station and a passenger has travelled from another Penalty Fare station with limited ticket facilities.
What a load of twaddle from the ticket office, but then again I find that an alarming percentage of Virgin Trains ticket office staff are useless when it comes to anything more than the simplest A to B ticket purchase (especially since the new ticket issuing system that many still don't know how to use, or claim it can't do X, Y or Z).

I assume your family member did end up getting a season ticket and photocard at her destination? If so, contact Virgin Trains with a strongly worded complaint asking for immediate reimbursement of the fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.