• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket/photocard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lampshade

Established Member
Hi all

I did a search because it's such a quick question and I didn't think it warranted a whole thread but...

I will be travelling using a season ticket starting next week. I already have a 16-25 Railcard but obviously I can't use it with a season ticket; will I have to get a new photocard for the season ticket or can I use the same one as with my railcard?

Cheers :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Colonel

will I have to get a new photocard for the season ticket

In a word - Yes.

Season ticket photocards should have barcodes from now on (I know there are a lot of old ones about which don't) and from 20th May ALL weekly seasons will require a photocard.

The Colonel

barrykas

Established Member
You can use a 16-25/Young Persons Photocard "in an emergency" with a 7 Day Season/Travelcard, but you have to get an 'approved' (i.e. National Rail, TfL or PTE issued) photocard before a subsequent Season Ticket or Travelcard is purchased.

What constitutes an "emergency" is not defined.

Cheers,

Barry

The Colonel

You can use a 16-25/Young Persons Photocard "in an emergency" with a 7 Day Season/Travelcard, but you have to get an 'approved' (i.e. National Rail, TfL or PTE issued) photocard before a subsequent Season Ticket or Travelcard is purchased.

What constitutes an "emergency" is not defined.

Cheers,

Barry

Thanks for the info Barry - is that in The Manual somewhere?

SS4

Established Member
Sorry to take this thread off on a tangent but does that mean I could use a Centro (WMPTE iirc) issued photocard elsewhere in the country for a season? This is hypothetical I should add

Lampshade

Established Member
Thanks guys, I'll get a new photocard sorted as well.

Why there can't be a universal 'National Rail Photocard' is beyond me :shock:

34D

Established Member
Sorry to take this thread off on a tangent but does that mean I could use a Centro (WMPTE iirc) issued photocard elsewhere in the country for a season? This is hypothetical I should add

In west yorkshire, you can use either a wypte or NR photocard with either a metrocard or a point to point NR season.

By extension, it may be the case that your west mids photocard could be considered valid in other parts of the country - however it would be inadvisable.

We had a thread on here a few months ago where someone had a season for (iirc, a luton airport staff member) which needed some kind of specific photocard, and the guy had his ticket confiscated.

Thanks guys, I'll get a new photocard sorted as well.

Why there can't be a universal 'National Rail Photocard' is beyond me :shock:

Surely there is? Pink background, photo, and name written on in pen? Or am I missing something?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've asked someone with access to the manual to get me some quotes; these can be found under Ticket stock and literature > TOC issue tickets - specimen images > Period Season Ticket Photocard – specimen images.

All Season Tickets and Travelcard Seasons issued to named individuals must be supported by a photocard RSP 3588/9 (adult without barcode), RSP 3588/9A (adult with barcode) and RSP 3588/11 (child). Photocards are not required for weekly Travelcards issued within the London Fares Zones (in-boundary).

Transport for London issued photocards are also accepted. For specimen images of TfL issued Period Season Ticket Photocards, click here.

PTE issued photocards are also accepted.

Local Education Authority issued photocards are acceptable when accompanying Scholars Season Tickets.

The photocard number must appear on the face side of the Season Ticket.

Season Tickets endorsed 'A representative of’ (company name) do not require photocards.

Links removed.

My understanding is that you may use of the listed RSP3588 cards or any PTE or TfL card nation wide.

TP

Lampshade

Established Member
Surely there is? Pink background, photo, and name written on in pen? Or am I missing something?

It means I'll have to carry two photocards now, one for my railcard and one for my season ticket. There should be one universal photocard with perhaps a tick box and space for the relevant railcard number without there having to be separate photocards for the different types of railcard.

The Colonel

Photocards are not required for weekly Travelcards issued within the London Fares Zones (in-boundary).

As an aside this is changing from 20th May when photocards WILL be required for ALL weekly travelcards. I'm busy telling all my customers when they renew. I beleive posters are appearing this week.

The Colonel

34D

Established Member
It means I'll have to carry two photocards now, one for my railcard and one for my season ticket. There should be one universal photocard with perhaps a tick box and space for the relevant railcard number without there having to be separate photocards for the different types of railcard.

I do see ypur point now, sorry.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
As an aside this is changing from 20th May when photocards WILL be required for ALL weekly travelcards. I'm busy telling all my customers when they renew. I beleive posters are appearing this week.

The Colonel

I'm assuming this isn't required for travelcards issued on Oyster?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Wouldn't the Oyster card itself have the photo on a la 18+ ones iirc

No. Standard Adult Oyster cards are either plain blue or have some other commemorative design (eg Royal Wedding last year, Jubilee this). I don't know whether weekly travelcards on Oyster will need a photocard and/or to be registered from May, but I'll try and find out.

34D

Established Member
I don't know whether weekly travelcards on Oyster will need a photocard and/or to be registered from May, but I'll try and find out.

Mike, am I correct that for monthly or longer oyster travelcards, it has been mandatory to have the card registered since the start?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Mike, am I correct that for monthly or longer oyster travelcards, it has been mandatory to have the card registered since the start?

I believe so. It has certainly been a requirement since I became interested with the full NR rollout in Jan 2010.

island

Veteran Member

The Colonel

There's been homemade ones at some Southeastern stations for the past fortnight. Anyone know why the rules are being changed?

Can't imagine a photocard requirement for Oyster weekly travelcards at the moment; even annuals on Oyster don't need one!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Can't imagine a photocard requirement for Oyster weekly travelcards at the moment; even annuals on Oyster don't need one!

But the card does need to be registered for anything over a weekly which is probably just as secure as the photocard, if not more so given that the card can be stopped if stolen/lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.