• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWT_USER

Final update - refund hit my credit card today. So about 6 weeks to process in all!

Surprised that SWR now have the capacity to start on the December strike compensation scheme next week too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fiyero

Surely this process breaks every single rule about how to protect yourself from phishing/fraud attacks? You get cold-called from somebody who claims they work for a train company, they say you're due a lot of money, and you just need to give them your card details in order to receive it. Is that really the best that train companies can do? Thanks for the heads-up as to what might happen - I would probably have just laughed and put the phone down if I'd received a call like this! I've been assuming I'll get a cheque in the post because they (Greater Anglia in my case) didn't ask for any card details/account numbers when I submitted my claim.
I thought this too when I got an email in relation to my claim for a refund on an advance ticket saying to phone up and give card details for my refund. I googled the number and got nothing, asked on here and was reassured and I did get my refund but it looked sketchy as hell.

The Great Northern website https://www.greatnorthernrail.com/t...y/coronavirus-information/coronavirus-refunds now says:

If you are on Twitter, it may be quicker to contact them that way, once you reach the 28 day point. NB Once amount and payment details are sorted, they say it can still take "up to 20 working days" to receive the money.

Thanks. I contacted GN customer services again and they got back to me the next day to say my refund was approved and I needed to call them to arrange payment. They also said that if I got through to one of their staff who was working from home, they'd arrange a callback from someone who was working in their offices as for data protection reasons, home-working staff can't take payment details. All done, ~£1200 should be in my account within the next 20 days.

gtat

I'm still waiting for a £7k+ refund from GWR. I made the claim online 40 days ago and the website states a 26 day processing time. I phoned them this morning and they said it should be with me in the next '1-2 weeks'.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
GA emailed me today to say that they will call me for my card number “soon”. Seems a labour intensive process.

Maybe this episode might encourage the railway to upgrade the the twentieth century

No call received from the message of 12th May and we are 53 days into the “up to” 56 days.

It’s getting exciting in the sweepstake now

Fiyero

I’ve just had an email from southwestern railway about my smartcard annual ticket refund saying they need a sick note or letter from my employer confirming I’m working from home (plus some confused wording 17th of March). I last used my ticket on 19/03 and as it is a smart card I assumed they could check the transactions. First I’ve heard of needing a note from my boss!
glad I’m not relying on the refund any time soon!

Fiyero

I’ve just had an email from southwestern railway about my smartcard annual ticket refund saying they need a sick note or letter from my employer confirming I’m working from home (plus some confused wording 17th of March). I last used my ticket on 19/03 and as it is a smart card I assumed they could check the transactions. First I’ve heard of needing a note from my boss!
glad I’m not relying on the refund any time soon!
Apparently they only needed it as I hadnt put the last used date on my form (possible, but I thought they could check when I last tappEd anyway). They say I should now get refund within another 28 working days, though their target on the site says smart card refund requests from may 1st should be done by June 8th!

VauxhallandI

Established Member
No call received from the message of 12th May and we are 53 days into the “up to” 56 days.

It’s getting exciting in the sweepstake now

I received the call on Day 55 and the chap said the refund would take up to 7 days to land in my account.

Yesterday I received a refund amount of £114 in my account from a "Newmarket Sst"

Could this be the refund?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I would have expected more than £114 for approx three months of travel. I however am not surprised to be disappointed

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes it was, this was the number of days “used”, cost was approx £2,200. Cheshunt to LST
In which case the refund was the balance of the annual price rather than the price of the unused period. Annual seasons effectively have a free period of 12/13 weeks at the end. That’s why the refund is quite small.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Quel surprise the free period is at the end and not spread across the year.

Another railway joke. Not your fault obviously!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Quel surprise the free period is at the end and not spread across the year.

Another railway joke. Not your fault obviously!

Otherwise anyone wanting a monthly season ticket would just buy an annual and get it refunded after a month, thereby paying a cheaper rate. How else do you expect them to do it?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Otherwise anyone wanting a monthly season ticket would just buy an annual and get it refunded after a month, thereby paying a cheaper rate. How else do you expect them to do it?

They need to get with the fact it’s 2020 and do better rather than relying on other situations that aren’t my problem.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They need to get with the fact it’s 2020 and do better rather than relying on other situations that aren’t my problem.

All very well ranting but you’d be the first to rant if someone buying an annual season ticket wasn’t offered a better price per journey than someone buying monthly, weekly or daily tickets.

You can’t have it both ways.....

VauxhallandI

Established Member
All very well ranting but you’d be the first to rant if someone buying an annual season ticket wasn’t offered a better price per journey than someone buying monthly, weekly or daily tickets.

You can’t have it both ways.....

Hardly a rant.

I’ve bought approx 13 of these season tickets from them on the bounce and the excuse not to refund me is because they are worried about people out laying several thousand pounds to use a season ticket for a month to get a larger discount and then applying for a refund.

It’s a fantasy land reason.

arb

This morning I got a credit card statement, which included my season ticket refund from Greater Anglia. They refunded it on 23rd May (19 days ago, 25 days after I submitted the claim) and have not been in touch with me once about the refund. They haven't acknowledged that they received the claim, they haven't told me that they've issued the refund, and they haven't asked for any payment details (which implies they must have stored the card details when I bought the ticket last year, which is interesting in itself). But if you are expecting a refund and haven't heard anything, do check your bank/credit card statements carefully - they might have processed it and simply not told you.

The refund amount was absolutely spot-on compared to the amount I expected from my own calculations, including the £10 admin fee deduction.

island

Veteran Member
On the note of storing card details, this is permissible as long as they are encrypted to comply with PCI DSS rules. The GDPR basis of processing is the legitimate interests of the data controller, namely that it may be required to issue any potential refunds back onto the same card used to pay, in order to comply with other contracts to which it is a party.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
This morning I got a credit card statement, which included my season ticket refund from Greater Anglia. They refunded it on 23rd May (19 days ago, 25 days after I submitted the claim) and have not been in touch with me once about the refund. They haven't acknowledged that they received the claim, they haven't told me that they've issued the refund, and they haven't asked for any payment details (which implies they must have stored the card details when I bought the ticket last year, which is interesting in itself). But if you are expecting a refund and haven't heard anything, do check your bank/credit card statements carefully - they might have processed it and simply not told you.

The refund amount was absolutely spot-on compared to the amount I expected from my own calculations, including the £10 admin fee deduction.

Hi - what did the entry say on your card for the refund please?

At the moment they cannot tell me:

What the refund will come under
What the refund amount will be
When the refund will be
What the calculation for the refund is

Although they may come through as different things knowing what yours is might help me put the puzzle together, thanks.

arb

Hi - what did the entry say on your card for the refund please?
It was "Greater Anglia T/O Colchester". My ticket was bought in person at Ely station, not Colchester, and the refund claim was submitted online. It's about 10 years since I last went to Colchester :)
What the calculation for the refund is
Mine has been calculated according to the rules quoted by CyrusWuff earlier in this thread, in post 145 (link).

Leisurefirst

Racking my brains trying to work out what a refund was on my bank mini-statement from "Business Travel" I just realized it might be my SWR season refund. (I'd had no e-mail AFAIK and it was done nearly a month ago). Out by 60p (more) than I was expecting but I assume it's that.
Can anybody confirm please having had similar?

Alex C.

Racking my brains trying to work out what a refund was on my bank mini-statement from "Business Travel" I just realized it might be my SWR season refund. (I'd had no e-mail AFAIK and it was done nearly a month ago). Out by 60p (more) than I was expecting but I assume it's that.

Some SWR refunds are coming through with Business Travel as a description, so this will be it.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing this. It's useful info. My refund hasn't been processed yet, so now I know there may not be a phone call but equally there might be.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I’m still awaiting any information from GA I’m afraid

Tonight after a couple of more chats I have finally found out the £114 was my refund; they’ve really earns their £10 admin fee.

I feel in those circumstances the back loading of the season ticket discount is in bad taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.