• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season ticket Stoke to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

island

Veteran Member
I have a rather mad friend who commutes from Stoke-on-Trent (SOT) to central London. (Don't ask.) Currently she buys monthly travelcards from SOT to London Zones 1-6 (0035) at £1,003.80. I have told her to start buying odd period tickets but haven't been able to come up with any better suggestions to save money. Splitting at Rugby, the only calling point of many of the trains she uses, is more expensive.

The constraints are that she wishes to use Virgin services and uses the tube in zone 1 most days. (She wouldn't benefit from buying just to London Terminals (1072) and using an Oyster card, as the difference is only around £55 a month.)

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Where in Zone 1 does she go to. She may not even have to take the tube.

calc7

Established Member
Does she commute every day? If not, a SOT-MKC season with a MKC-R1256 (Virgin Only) ADT may be effective.

Also, who wants to live in Stoke-on-Trent?! :lol:

island

Veteran Member
Where in Zone 1 does she go to. She may not even have to take the tube.
London Bridge usually.
Does she commute every day? If not, a SOT-MKC season with a MKC-R1256 (Virgin Only) ADT may be effective.

Also, who wants to live in Stoke-on-Trent?! :lol:
Yes, pretty much every day. But she might be cutting back in a while; break-even point is 12 days per month so I'll mention it.

34D

Established Member
I have a rather mad friend who commutes from Stoke-on-Trent (SOT) to central London. (Don't ask.) Currently she buys monthly travelcards from SOT to London Zones 1-6 (0035) at £1,003.80.

I'm guessing that you don't want to read messages advising the cost of studio apartments or of block bookings in hotels?

Clip

Established Member
I cant see anyway around this one and ive been thinking about it most of the morning.

island

Veteran Member
No worries, I thought it might well be out on a limb. Thanks for the effort :)

sonic2009

Established Member
Which service does she use from Stoke?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

All Line Rover

Established Member
Unless she qualifies for a 16-25 Railcard, I see no way to save money on the usual £315.60 a week using "reasonable" methods. £63.12 a day is quite reasonable anyway, costing less than an Off-Peak Return + Off-Peak Zones 1-6 Day Travelcard.

I don't consider 90 minutes to be an excessively long commute.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Try doing it and see what you think ;)

There's plenty of people in my office do a 90 minute commute. I have done myself.

I'll mention there's some good, cheap hostels in the London Bridge area which I use so that I don't have to do my 3.5 hour 1-way commute every day <D

There is one person in my office who does a 160-180 minute commute each way each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.