• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season tickets on Redhill avoiding line

Status
Not open for further replies.

leshuttle

Travelling from Brighton to London directly I already have a season ticket valid for any train between Redhill and London Terminals. Which station do I get a ticket to from Brighton if the train doesn't stop at Redhill but takes the Quarry Line by-pass?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A Challenge

Established Member
Assuming there aren't any easements, the last station passed through by trains using the Quarry Line is Purley, so it would be from there.

Dibbo4025

I'd have thought from Redhill would be fine - the quarry line is essentially just another name for the fast line at that point not a separate route (ie via another station) so both trains routed on the slows and the quarry line are still viewed as being routed the same way

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Travelling from Brighton to London directly I already have a season ticket valid for any train between Redhill and London Terminals. Which station do I get a ticket to from Brighton if the train doesn't stop at Redhill but takes the Quarry Line by-pass?

I'd have thought from Redhill would be fine - the quarry line is essentially just another name for the fast line at that point not a separate route (ie via another station) so both trains routed on the slows and the quarry line are still viewed as being routed the same way

I've always worked on the basis that you should only need a ticket from Redhill to Brighton for this purpose. You shouldn't need to know that the train will go via the Quarry rather than the through lines at Redhill.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I agree this would be a pragmatic view for an OBS/RPI/Guard to take.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My interpretation is that the quarry line does not go via Redhill for ticketing purposes.

I would check on RealTimeTrains or similar whether the train is scheduled to go via the Quarry line and buy a ticket accordingly. If the train is then re-routed the other way, then that is not your problem.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
My interpretation is that the quarry line does not go via Redhill for ticketing purposes.

I would check on RealTimeTrains or similar whether the train is scheduled to go via the Quarry line and buy a ticket accordingly. If the train is then re-routed the other way, then that is not your problem.

If you looked at this map, you'd think all the trains go via Redhill
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/London_South_East_0519.pdf

Alternatively, this one suggests otherwise
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/nationalrailoperatorsmapzoom61.pdf

I think I would share your view when applied to Northampton but feel Redhill is somehow more like Darlington or Dunbar.

Do the ATOC routeing guide maps show the Quarry as a separate line? I can't check at the moment but thought they don't.

Dibbo4025

Do the ATOC routeing guide maps show the Quarry as a separate line? I can't check at the moment but thought they don't.

No they don't - in fact the maps for London to Brighton LB and VB are both shown passing through Redhill group

Haywain

Veteran Member

I disagree. My view is that in cases such as this the joining station remains Redhill as the journey does not involve call at any stations on an alternative route. I would be astonished if the OP purchased a ticket to Redhill and subsequently had any difficulties.

JB_B

Established Member
Quarry line trains all pass through Earlswood which is a member of Redhill group for routeing purposes.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Routeing Point groups is a different concept entirely, used for joining together sections of a mapped route.

I don't see how its relevant whether there are any calls at stations on an alternative route. By that logic, it'd be OK to split at a WCML journey at Northampton whilst also taking the avoiding line, which I don't think anyone would say is valid.

kieron

Established Member
As there are no intermediate stations on the Quarry line, and no stations marked between Redhill Group and Croydon Group on the LB map, a Brighton-Redhill ticket would be valid for travel via the Quarry line to Purley, and from there to Redhill. A Redhill-London season ticket is valid between Purley and London.

For anyone who's interested, this argument can't be used at the south end of the Quarry line. Quarry Line trains are treated as if they went via Earlswood, but they never stop in the station (not least because the track layout means they can't stop there without reversing). A journey from Redhill to London via Earlswood would inevitably involve a double back through Earlswood, so isn't allowed.

JB_B

Established Member

For anyone who's interested, this argument can't be used at the south end of the Quarry line. Quarry Line trains are treated as if they went via Earlswood, but they never stop in the station (not least because the track layout means they can't stop there without reversing). A journey from Redhill to London via Earlswood would inevitably involve a double back through Earlswood, so isn't allowed.

I agree - it's not valid to go from Redhill to London via Earlswood on a Redhill-London Terminals season.

As you say, the absence of fast line platforms and the position of the crossover mean that you can't actually do the whole journey - you'd be forced into an invalid double-back having travelled south through Earlswood.

Nevertheless, I'm tempted to argue that the season ticket has underlying validity from Earlswood north which is potentially relevant to the OP's question.

The mapped routes from Redhill Group to London Group include the route via Earlswood-(Quarry)-London. And even it wasn't mapped, the route going via Earlswood then Quarry line is within 3m of the shortest route from Redhill to London.

As it's a season ticket, all sub-routes of the permitted route are valid (even if the whole journey isn't possible in practice.)

So I think the OP only needs a ticket from Brighton as far as Earlswood to use Quarry line. (And since the prices are the same to Redhill , a Brighton-Redhill ticket should cover the OP for both routes.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.