• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seasonal Rail Jobs, esp Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

theironroad

Established Member
Is anyone aware of train companies that hire seasonal workers, say for a period of 6 months or permanent jobs where the contractual hours can be compressed?

In particular for qualified drivers, where for example you might work for X number of months then have X months off work,

Realise it's a bit of an unusual question but all comments welcome.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
I’m not aware of anything as a qualified driver. Points to consider that may impact seasonal working are the required number of ride outs, downloads, amount of time that can lapse before route refreshing, rules intervals, safety brief requirements etc.

Would part time working and block holidays be a viable option? E.g. work 4 days a fortnight and use annual leave to enable a month off at a time? Or can you simply put a request in for accommodating?

StaffsPM1

don't some freight operators have annualised hours? Once you have completed them you can walk away until the next year?

ANDREW_D_WEBB

The obvious locations where driving would be likely to be seasonal is preserved lines. How many of these have paid drivers I do not know. Many will be volunteering to drive the train.

TheEdge

Established Member
The obvious locations where driving would be likely to be seasonal is preserved lines. How many of these have paid drivers I do not know. Many will be volunteering to drive the train.

Two that jump to mind at Vale of Rheidol (I think) and Paignton & Kingswear.

theironroad

Established Member
Thanks all for the comments.

I did look at the c2c ad the other day but that's more of reduced shifts but still working every week, just less hours than the FTE.

I’m not aware of anything as a qualified driver. Points to consider that may impact seasonal working are the required number of ride outs, downloads, amount of time that can lapse before route refreshing, rules intervals, safety brief requirements etc.

Would part time working and block holidays be a viable option? E.g. work 4 days a fortnight and use annual leave to enable a month off at a time? Or can you simply put a request in for accommodating?

Originally I'd thought of trying to do a 6 months on, 6 months off arrangement, but rides, refreshers etc was definitely a factor in me changing my mind.

Accommodation is highly unlikely with my employer for this reason, which is simply to do a lot of travelling around the world. Tbf, I've not asked but 99% know the answer.

It'd be a pretty massive change after being with one TOC for 20 years but want to find a way of better balance to travel and keep my key (the ORR ETDL rules basically say that if you're not employed by a rail organisation , like a TOC, as a driver for 12 months, you lose qualified status.)

Don't want to retire and find bad health has crept up on me....

don't some freight operators have annualised hours? Once you have completed them you can walk away until the next year?

I recall this from years ago and will have to look into it, but seem to remember something about 'flight path' hours so although annualised , they are managed to keep it even throughout year which I guess they need to do to ensure they have enough drivers later in the year.

Two that jump to mind at Vale of Rheidol (I think) and Paignton & Kingswear.

Interesting. Must admit that I'd dismissed heritage lines as thought all crew on these is generally volunteer, also to keep future options open, I'd want to maintain my network rail infrastructure competency in case wanting to revert to a normal FT role later on.

Guess a combo would be one of the ever increasing mainline heritage operators.

Dieseldriver

Not sure what company you are with but I thought companies had to honour a job share agreement if practical? You’d need to find another Driver who wanted to share a roster line with you and between yourselves you agree how you’ll work (I’ve heard of Drivers doing one month on, one month off etc).

theironroad

Established Member
Not sure what company you are with but I thought companies had to honour a job share agreement if practical? You’d need to find another Driver who wanted to share a roster line with you and between yourselves you agree how you’ll work (I’ve heard of Drivers doing one month on, one month off etc).

I've heard of week on week off but not a month. I think companies only have to consider flexible working and the ones that are successful usually are to do with child/parent care etc.

Would you be able to get a career break?

That would depend on your own T&Cs.

Rumour is First Group don't do career breaks, happy for someone to correct me.

Dieseldriver

I've heard of week on week off but not a month. I think companies only have to consider flexible working and the ones that are successful usually are to do with child/parent care etc.

I’ve known of older Drivers job sharing with each other on the run up to retirement. It’s not flexible working as such, you and the other Driver essentially just become one and share a full time position.
From the companies point of view it’s essentially the same as a Driver leaving/retiring.

theironroad

Established Member
I’ve known of older Drivers job sharing with each other on the run up to retirement. It’s not flexible working as such, you and the other Driver essentially just become one and share a full time position.
From the companies point of view it’s essentially the same as a Driver leaving/retiring.
Yeah, me too. For two older drivers winding down until retirement it's a great thing, week on week off etc.

Just need to find a driver who wants to do same, but 3 months on full time then 3 off.... Might suit someone who wants to travel as well or live overseas for part of year.

the sniper

Established Member

I wouldn't go by rumour. A Guard in my TOC (not a First one, admittedly) got granted a year's sabbatical/career break just for travelling, prior to which many people either hadn't heard of the concept or didn't think something like that was even possible on the railway. It was so unusual for someone to formally ask that no policy actually existed for it within the TOC. Success may well come down to timing/luck and asking the right person though.

whoosh

Established Member
West Coast Railways (The charter company). They used to use a lot of semi-retired drivers for charters and route conducting tampers etc. Might be employment on a casual basis rather than a permanent job, I'm not sure. Worth investigating though maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.