• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seat reservations using a Rover ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

underbank

Established Member
Is it possible to book seats when you have a Rover ticket, and if so, how do you do it? I can't see any facility to do it online.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Via a ticket office is probably your best bet.

Failing that phoning/tweet the TOC customer services to ask for a seat reservation.

robbeech

Established Member
You’ll get differing results from different ticket offices but that will be inline with how useful they are generally.
As Kite says a ticket office is the best bet here just ask them for what you want, they often won’t even ask for your ticket.
Social media can do this although they get busy. cross country offer their text based reservation system which works quite well.

_toommm_

Established Member
You’ll get differing results from different ticket offices but that will be inline with how useful they are generally.
As Kite says a ticket office is the best bet here just ask them for what you want, they often won’t even ask for your ticket.
Social media can do this although they get busy. cross country offer their text based reservation system which works quite well.

I just PM each TOC on Twitter, they ask for a photo and we're off to the races

AnthonyRail

Established Member
My brother and I purchased separately seats on the train to London, so I asked ticket office if they could seat us together but told no by one person and that be a charge by another.

Quick Twitter message to GWR and they did it with out any issues

pieguyrob

I did a 7 day rail rover in early 2017 and had no problems booking sleeper berths with both Caledonian and great western by phoning their individual help lines. So I presume the same applies by phoning the individual rail operators for booking seats using a rover ticket. Might be an idea checking with national rail enquiries depending on the rover ticket you are using. As I said mine was a 7 day all lines rover.

nat67

Established Member
Is it possible to book seats when you have a Rover ticket, and if so, how do you do it? I can't see any facility to do it online.
I managed to secure seats on the service from York-Malton with TPE on a North East Rover and on three consecutive days.

robbeech

Established Member
My brother and I purchased separately seats on the train to London, so I asked ticket office if they could seat us together but told no by one person and that be a charge by another.

Quick Twitter message to GWR and they did it with out any issues

Which ticket office was this? It’s not surprising incorrect advice from some ticket offices though most are good.

robbeech

Established Member
Taunton I believe from memory
Ah. Taunton. Taunton don’t let you out of the southern side gate with an ALR when it is unstaffed. You have to walk to the other side, show the ticket to a human not a camera, then exit that way and walk around. So it’s unsurprising that they are unable to deal with seat reservations.

Muzer

Established Member
In the past I've deliberately gone for stations with only one train per hour, deliberately going shortly after the one per hour has left, so the ticket office staff are likely to be rather bored and not have many passengers to deal with!

Established Member
Ah. Taunton. Taunton don’t let you out of the southern side gate with an ALR when it is unstaffed. You have to walk to the other side, show the ticket to a human not a camera, then exit that way and walk around. So it’s unsurprising that they are unable to deal with seat reservations.
I've never had such issues there...

Status
Not open for further replies.