• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

seated sleeper advance ticket plus Scotrail advance card. what does it get me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Hi all

I am using a seated sleeper ticket tomorrow night and was wondering, with my ScotRail advance card, what does it allow me.

My journey is from Glasgow --- Euston and i paid £17.20 (After Yp discount)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone able to help?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
ScotRail Advance Benefits
Advance Loyalty Club members can also use all ScotRail First Class Lounges on presentation of their membership card as well as ANY type of ticket valid for travel on ScotRail services that day. Tickets not valid on ScotRail services cannot be accepted.

But does the First Class Lounge at Euston count as one of Scotrail's?

Also:Seated Sleeper other information
Can I use the lounge car? No

A buffet service is available so you can enjoy hot and cold snacks at your seat.
I consider the Lounge Car to be an essential part of the experience, so I've only used the berths.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Cheers. It's scheduled to be my first experience of a sleeper service so hence I opted seated (after doing EC First Class!) as a endurance test. I think that if the EUS lounge is useable with my advance card then I may try it!

(Plus I only wanted to pay less than £20!!!).

Failed Unit

Established Member
Yes, advance members with any ticket can use the Virgin Lounge. As can first class holders and holders of specified sleeper only tickets.

I may give this a try, I never expected it to work. But it will be useful to get a show if I travel Standard in a solo berth.

"First Class Caledonian Sleeper customers and Advance Loyalty Club members can enjoy complimentary light snacks and refreshments in the newly refurbished Virgin Trains First Class lounge on the first floor, accessible from the main concourse. Dedicated Caledonian Sleeper Standard Single ticket holders can also be given access to the lounge Standard Class customers can use the Passenger lounge, which is on the main concourse opposite the left luggage office. Both lounges are open daily."

Thats the exact wording from the ScotRail website. Take from that what you will.

cjp

"First Class Caledonian Sleeper customers and Advance Loyalty Club members can enjoy complimentary light snacks and refreshments in the newly refurbished Virgin Trains First Class lounge on the first floor, accessible from the main concourse. Dedicated Caledonian Sleeper Standard Single ticket holders can also be given access to the lounge Standard Class customers can use the Passenger lounge, which is on the main concourse opposite the left luggage office. Both lounges are open daily."

Thats the exact wording from the ScotRail website. Take from that what you will.

Does this actually mean that as an Advance member I do not even need a train ticket to get into a lounge esp the Euston one?:D

Failed Unit

Established Member
You need at ticket now to get into any lounge, but to be fair at Waverley which is the only one I use, you can't get passed the barrier anyway without one.

bkhtele

I was it the Virgin lounge with my advance card in Euston last Friday evening and used the lovely showear & shaved before boarding. Closes at 11pm shortly before boarding commences. So you would need to arrive about 10pm if you wanted the showers.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Cheers all. Decided not to go in as I had to top up the oyster then get a 378 to Willesden JCTN

Yew

Established Member
How was you're trip on the seated sleeper?

jamesontheroad

Established Member
If he's not replied yet he's presumably sleeping off the uncomfortable night in the seated sleeper ;)

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
How was you're trip on the seated sleeper?

They replaced the seat with a solo standard berth (apparently the seating car was "out of commission" yet was still attached to the rake!). Only got 15 mins kip inboard as ride quality was a bit weird (bouncy even!).

Sorry it took ages to reply I was in Stoke on Trent today.

wintonian

Established Member
They replaced the seat with a solo standard berth (apparently the seating car was "out of commission"

No it was because you had an advance card and accordingly got treated like royalty. :lol:
You need at ticket now to get into any lounge, but to be fair at Waverley which is the only one I use, you can't get passed the barrier anyway without one.

Is the sleeper set down only at Watford going north (and vice versus)?

stuart

Both the Highlander and Lowlander services stop at Watford northbound to pick up. The Lowlander stops at Watford southbound to set down. The Highlander only stops at Watford southbound if it has a problem and needs to "tip out" passengers so it can go straight to Wembley Traincare rather than risk getting stuck on the approach to Euston.
They replaced the seat with a solo standard berth (apparently the seating car was "out of commission" yet was still attached to the rake!).

A few years ago one of the crew told me about a similar incident where the lighting had failed in the seated car before leaving Inverness (why they need lighting when people are supposed to be sleeping I don't know - one of those health and safety things). Anyway, the train was lightly loaded, so they were able to offer all passengers a cabin, which they gratefully accepted.

All except one - one guy who had had a few too many "nightcaps" wouldn't move - he had paid for a seat, he said, and he wanted a seat. Eventually the police had to be called to extract him, and on getting him back to the (police) station they found he was wanted for a whole string of minor offences. Now wouldn't you just keep a bit quiet in those circumstances?

Status
Not open for further replies.