• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seatfrog? Anyone used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
As the title says!

Current auction price for the train tomorrow is £11.10. Is it worth trying to upgrade?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BigCj34

Where are you going from and to? What TOC? Seems decent if it's a long distance trip.

E759

Existing thread:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/seatfrog-does-it-actually-work.192962/

Also previously discussed in Special Offers.

Only you can decide. My personal success rate is around 75% "won". Always keep a cool head and don't over-bid! As others have pointed out check you can't buy a new 1st class ticket for £11.10.

Kings Cross to Leeds is the shortest journey I'd bid on. I often use Seatfrog as a way to split expenditure across different accounting periods. That's not something I've seen mentioned before but is important to me.

LA50041

Established Member
Used a couple of weeks ago and got an upgrade Cardiff - London for £10. As standard was very busy it was £10 well spent

Bayum

Established Member
I’m doing York to London and return tomorrow. 0740 and 2000 return.

SHFTraveller

I've had similar success KGX-DON, usually around £10-£14 mark. Anymore than this I usually leave it.

Bayum

Established Member
If it can’t find my booking reference, can I bid anyway? I have a standard advance ticket, it just isn’t finding my reference

Haywain

Veteran Member
I can, but why does it suggest using your booking reference if it isn’t needed?
I believe it requires a booking reference with LNER, but could be wrong. Seatfrog is used by a number of operators and who can use it seems to vary.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Most recent actions I have bid on closed early. A Stevenage - Lincoln just had a single £5 bid.

My experience is that the majority of auctions I try close immediately. Not sure if the sell all the seats out or someone hits buy it now. If it is the later - they paid more than the new ticket value.

I try but find the app is a waste of space as I can rarely actually bid.

philthetube

Established Member
They do exclude a lot of people by insisting on booking references, all walk ups, priv holders for a start.

Haywain

Veteran Member
They do exclude a lot of people by insisting on booking references, all walk ups, priv holders for a start.
Yes, that’s a considered strategy. It says, essentially, book with us if you want a chance of a cheap upgrade.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Virgin let you bid without a reference. You select your train from the timetable and tick the box to say that you have a ticket for that service.

freddie1729

They don't require a booking reference any more. You can just pick the services from a list.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I frequently win upgrades on trains between Manchester and London under £20. The most expensive such upgrade I've bought was £23. Generally these go with an Off Peak Return, usually this would be bought from a ticket machine. I've had a quick scan through email and there are double digit numbers of receipts, so this has been a very effective strategy at getting me to spend more with Virgin Trains.

Bayum

Established Member
I won the upgrade for the journey down. £11 York to Kings X. The return journey at 2000 however is at £25-30 right now. Not sure I can justify the upgrade for that, especially with the offerings I’m likely to get at that time.

E759

I believe it requires a booking reference with LNER, but could be wrong. Seatfrog is used by a number of operators and who can use it seems to vary.
Yes you are wrong here, no booking reference required for LNER. This feature was added earlier this year and noted in the Special Offers thread. LNER, VTWC & GWR are Seatfrogable.

Edit: Ah, others spotted the error too!

E759

I won the upgrade for the journey down. £11 York to Kings X. The return journey at 2000 however is at £25-30 right now. Not sure I can justify the upgrade for that, especially with the offerings I’m likely to get at that time.
Great, enjoy! Regarding the return, exactly, it's a balancing act. I did Edinburgh-Euston two weeks ago and paid £25 but food/drink was served four times during the journey.

E759

Walk-ups and season tickets are valid on Seatfrog. Depressing the amount of erroneous information being given out on this thread.

Bayum

Established Member
Great, enjoy! Regarding the return, exactly, it's a balancing act. I did Edinburgh-Euston two weeks ago and paid £25 but food/drink was served four times during the journey.
Was that it on such a long journey?
I mean, the cynic in me expects that if I’m honest. Yes you get larger seats and tables, but it’s still a cost-cutting exercise.

E759

Was that it on such a long journey?
I mean, the cynic in me expects that if I’m honest. Yes you get larger seats and tables, but it’s still a cost-cutting exercise.
Four separate catering "services" at different points in the journey (with a crew swap somewhere along) each service with multiple food/drink offerings (e.g. snacks, 1st course, 2nd course etc.). I gave up after the second service as was fully stuffed.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I frequently win upgrades on trains between Manchester and London under £20. The most expensive such upgrade I've bought was £23. Generally these go with an Off Peak Return, usually this would be bought from a ticket machine. I've had a quick scan through email and there are double digit numbers of receipts, so this has been a very effective strategy at getting me to spend more with Virgin Trains.

£12 is my ceiling from London to Crewe in the evening - I don't value the food and drink at more than that and I never have trouble finding a seat pair to myself.

I've scored a few £10 upgrades in the mornings with Breakfast service, though these seem to be going for £15 or more now it's catching on.

bkhtele

GWR Paddington to Swindon £10 just after the evening peak. Also some available all the way to Penzance for £10 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.