• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seating plans for Class 158 Inverness stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKD

Hi guyz

Anyone know where I can find the seating plans for what I believe are Class 158 Scotrail stock running on these routes out of Inverness - trying to work out what seat reservations the system is offering:

Far North Line : Inverness - Thurso/Wick
&
Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh.

Google hasn't helped me with the only plan I found being pre 2007. There WAS a reference to Scotrail refurbishing 25 x 158s in 2007/8 (but that also mentions "First Class" which isn't available on those routes, and doesnt give any seating plans anyway).

Thanks in anticipation.

MKD

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
It has been reported on this forum that the Kyle and Wick 158s have declassified First Class accommodation.

MKD

I emailed ScotRail to ask where the seating plans might be lurking hidden on their website and got a prompt reply:

"Seating plans for ScotRail services are not available online. However we do have information about this internally and you can contact us on the number above for information." [Tel: 08456 015 929 ]

MKD

Established Member
(but that also mentions "First Class" which isn't available on those routes, and doesnt give any seating plans anyway).

There is a small First Class section, which is declassified on these routes, but it's exactly the same seats as the rest of the train, just a different colour.

There is a small First Class section, which is declassified on these routes, but it's exactly the same seats as the rest of the train, just a different colour.

Only real benefit is a power socket for mobile charger or laptop - which in my case is often a lifesaver as a full-size laptop is not that great for battery life :cry:

MKD

Well I phoned Scotrail on the number they suggested to see how their helpline staff were able to get on with their confidential/unpublished/hidden/non-shareable seating plans [argh!].

Totally uninspiring conversation. Offered me the exact same B03F seat each way that the online system had did. Went away to speak with a colleague after I suggested B03F didn't SOUND like it was going to be a window seat but clearly I didn't know as the seating plan wasn't published. He came back a few minutes later agreeing and suggested B12F instead -"my colleague is sure that is a window seat".

He had no idea why B12F would be a facing seat in BOTH directions of travel. [I would GUESS it's because having got the 90% to Thurso, the train reverses the last 10% to Wick, then forward facing again presumably for the first 10% to Thurso; but I don't know either.]

So given up on getting any sense/help out of Scotrail :(
Just glad 0845 numbers are free as part of my phoneline.

MKD

LouJ

In my experience providing you arrive at the station early you will get a wide choice of seats. I rode to Wick on the first train of the day and I had a choice of most of the train. Very few reserved seats. By the time we had reached Thurso the train was probably only a fifth full. The return journey was even more lightly loaded.

The Kyle of Lochalsh line can be busier and if there is a group booked to ride the train then decent seats are hard to get.

For the best views sit on the right hand side facing the front. You miss a bit but generally see more especially on the Kyle line.

Hope this helps.

MKD

In my experience providing you arrive at the station early you will get a wide choice of seats ....
For the best views sit on the right hand side facing the front. You miss a bit but generally see more especially on the Kyle line. Hope this helps.

Really helpful :D I'm hoping there wouldn't be many groups on the Wick line due to it taking ten hours to cover it. Got that planned for a Monday 10:38->20:09 - and seen that no trolley that time of year so planning a picnic hamper as my luggage lol.

Kyle next day afternoon/evening run so will endeavour to find out actual seating plan in time to make reservation for that before heading to Wick.

Want to buy the tickets online for TOD with Southern's RainyDay Guarantee (& 6% TopCashBack) just in case events conspire to prevent me being there to enjoy.
MKD

MKD

Turned out there was no need for reservations at all - back at end of May anyway.

Had a table/window for 4 to myself on all 4 legs over a couple of days, though did pass one train at a passing loop/station that was clearly packed out with a travelling party.

AND I created a PDF seating plan from what I noted on the trip - and Rail Britain have published it on line with their other Scotrail plans.

http://www.rail-britain.co.uk/seat_plans_scotrail.html

1st Class area is indeed declassified on those two lines; phoneline promise that seat 12 "IS a window table seat2 was nothing of the sort of course. Alls well that ends well anyway - great scenery/lines.

MKD

Last edited:

mappman1000

I did the Far North Line in February, 1038 Inverness - Wick and 1600 Wick - Inverness. Both formed of an Inverness based Class 158, which had declassified 1st class, which was handy for charging my phone and sitting on a laptop! I reserved seats but didn't sit in them in the end, as there were so many free tables!

rail-britain

Established Member
I met up with the person I have been dealing with in respect of the ScotRail seating plans
They confirmed these were not ideal, but they are only a guideline for reference purposes

I have now discovered they have no plans to update these within the current franchise, furthermore they are now using MKD version, and using it as their own!
They have removed all the text remarks, and placed
"Class 158 : Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh / Wick / Thurso routes only"

MKD

Well I guess I'm flattered - if ScotRail's phoneline provides accurate/helpful information to potential travellers on the lines as a result I'll be very content.

Shame they don't have the entrepreneurial spirit to do it themselves.

Though I realised they didn't have much of a clue when I called in at the Inverness ticket office to get a printed copy of their leaflet on the "North Highland Lines" and the staff member (a) had never heard of it; (b) certainly didn't have a copy anywhere. It's the leaflet that should be in racks ON THE TRAINS!

That said they offer it on their website - though it'll take you quite a LONG LONG time to work out ways to print it on A4 paper [yet again something they should have done for you!]
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/scenic-routes.html
[And the fares on that page are I believe now out of date/wrong!]

MKD

Last edited:

rail-britain

Established Member
That said they offer it on their website
Equally, that is if you can actually find the correct document on their website
There are so many pages that are not actually linked directly, but are still live (you could call them hidden pages)

Another such example is the WiFi, which can be found using the search

Equally, the ScotRail website has very little information with respect to its rolling stock
As an example, there is information about First Class tickets, but very little about what this entitles you to, let's say between Edinburgh and Aberdeen

I have received a few enquiries from people, as to what exactly Business passengers can benefit from, as a search on their website returns a lot of stuff about two restaurants! (try it yourself, search "business")

Status
Not open for further replies.