Seats that had foot rests?

Discussion in 'Railway History & Nostalgia' started by M7R, 24 Nov 2019.

1. M7R

M7R Member

Did any train seats come with foot rests? Like the sort you used to get on coaches that fold down from the seat in front?

if so which ones had it? I am guessing maybe mk3 coaches in first class?

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. Taunton

Taunton Established Member

Not really because it was always the traditional standard that seats in all classes were arranged in facing bays or compartments, whether round a table or not. Unidirectional seating ("bus seating") is a very recent arrival.

Something rings a bell that one of the 1957 experimental Mk 1 coaches might have done it.

North America was different, and seats all facing forward were common on long distance services. The Canadian National "Dayniters", and the various US railroads that actually officially specified them as "Leg Rest Coach" had these footrests.

4. M7R

M7R Member

My other half is sure she has been on a train with it, I’m not convinced as I only remember it from coaches and maybe trains abroad.

she was born early 90s so unless it was on a heritage railway I’m not sure when she would have seen anything like this?

5. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

For people with longer legs retractable footrests are really unhelpful as in the retracted position they are at shin level and in the downward position they get in the way.

Footrests are fitted on both the Mk2 and Mk5 sleeper seats.

Votagers and Pendolinos have a fixed bar under the seat but that is to prevent luggage movement.

6. 33017

33017 Member

Eurostar?

7. 47271

47271 Established Member

I've got a feeling that the airline seats in First Class in Pendolinos have a footrest. I don't think that they're luggage bars, that's something entirely different. I've never really thought about it before as a rarity, but I'll look the next time I'm on one. Someone will know!

8. ag51ruk

ag51ruk Member

As posted above, airline seats on Pendolinos and Virgin Voyagers in First Class have footrests that fold down from the seat in front. Cross Country don't have them on their Voyagers

9. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

Class 373 units definitely had (still have?) them in standard class.

10. Richard P

Richard P Member

Yes Pendelinos do have footrests in first class for all airline sets - I actually don't find them very comfortable to use but you can "lift them" up and out of the way if you wish too

11. Grumpy Git

Grumpy Git Member

DB (German railways) coaches have them in 1st class.

12. Jim Jehosofat

Jim Jehosofat Member

I'm sure some of Greater Anglia's 170s had these

13. M7R

M7R Member

The other half is now as smug as anything, as I was sure she was confused with a coach, that will show me. She thinks she would have seen them either going from Nuneaton to London, so maybe a Pendolenio then but she doesn’t think it was there as doesn’t think she’s been in 1st class on them.

or it was commuting 2013 or so from Leicester to Cambridge, but that would have been all XC?

or she did live in Cambridge for a couple of years as while at Uni so could have been on GA too, so may have been on GA I guess?

either way seems she was right and I was wrong again

Last edited: 25 Nov 2019