• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Second hand train horns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A friend of mine has asked me if I know where he can purchase a set of two tone locomotive/train horns?
He's a retired electrician and likes to tinker around with things including model railways and classic cars.
Would anyone have any idea as to where he could try?
Thanks for any replies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

satisnek

I've seen them for sale on railwayana stalls at heritage railway gala weekends, etc., but bear in mind that they're air horns and require a source of compressed air to operate. It's not simply a case of connecting them up to a 12 volt supply - I would be tempted to get a pair for the boat if that was the case!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've seen them for sale on railwayana stalls at heritage railway gala weekends, etc., but bear in mind that they're air horns and require a source of compressed air to operate. It's not simply a case of connecting them up to a 12 volt supply - I would be tempted to get a pair for the boat if that was the case!

Ah yes. I realise they need a compressor (I used to work on trucks years ago).
I've not seen them for sale at galas, although to be honest I haven't really been looking. I'll have a proper look at the Severn Valley diesel gala in a few weeks time though.

Edit - just noticed you're from Kidderminster :)

Last edited:

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Do not underestimate how loud they are. If you get them working indoors without ear protection you could well do yourself some damage!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Do not underestimate how loud they are. If you get them working indoors without ear protection you could well do yourself some damage!

...and probably shake all your ornaments and vases off the shelves.

Could be interesting if you're also one of the few people who still has single glazed windows - those horns generate some quite noticeable percussive effects at close quarters don't they...?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The above two posts duly noted. They are indeed incredibly loud.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't know how to link it but there's a YouTube clip of a set of Deltic horns fitted to a Rover 75 which made me chuckle.
He'd even made a little headboard up for the car :)

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I don't know how to link it but there's a YouTube clip of a set of Deltic horns fitted to a Rover 75 which made me chuckle.
He'd even made a little headboard up for the car :)

Going OT but does anyone remember when you could by airhorns with an attached gas canister down the market & stick them on your bike as a kid?

trc666

Going OT but does anyone remember when you could by airhorns with an attached gas canister down the market & stick them on your bike as a kid?

You can still get them and I have one on my bike, they are charged up using a bike pump (it has a Schrader type valve same as on cars). Works wonders when cycling in the West End as people just stroll out in to the road without looking and a bell has little or no effect. Horn gets them out the way pretty quickly!

Skipness

The Ashover Light Railway Society was at the Festiniog's Quirks and Curiosities gala with "Spondon", a battery electric locomotive (2' gauge) whose audible warning device was a class 37 horn sourced from EBay. (unfortunately only a single tone horn)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The Ashover Light Railway Society was at the Festiniog's Quirks and Curiosities gala with "Spondon", a battery electric locomotive (2' gauge) whose audible warning device was a class 37 horn sourced from EBay. (unfortunately only a single tone horn)

Ah thanks for that. 37s have got a good horn on them.

billh

Our boat has 2 Westinghouse class76(EM1) horns, unfortunately they are the same note so not two-tone. Air supply is from an ancient fridge compressor driven by a 12v motor and a lorry air brake receiver. Actuation is via a door bell push and a solenoid valve. Operating pressure: 75 to 100psi. Its loud but not in the least bit Deltic or 37 sounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.