• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Second Job While Waiting (WMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhymnosauras

I was wondering if anyone had found a second job while waiting for their DI to become available to get their driving hours in? I would like to work if I'm stood down for months but am unsure if this would be against any WMT rules. I'm hoping it wouldn't be a drama if you can make sure you are always available when they need you?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Papa

Probally need to check the terms of your contract.

Life is not all about work though, take that amazng oppertunity to spend on yourself and you interests and family. You can't spend money when you are dead.

Frankie4763

Probally need to check the terms of your contract.

Life is not all about work though, take that amazng oppertunity to spend on yourself and you interests and family. You can't spend money when you are dead.
Maybe he has bills to pay

the sniper

Established Member
I would like to work if I'm stood down for months but am unsure if this would be against any WMT rules. I'm hoping it wouldn't be a drama if you can make sure you are always available when they need you?

Your local/company council ASLEF rep will be able to answer this.

Last edited:

ggbrf

On Moderation
Its boring as sin to sit at home for weeks on end. Maybe charity work? if op doesn't need the money.

Cranky

I enquired about this during the first weeks of training, my understanding is they want you to be revising your rules etc whilst at home but got told if I did to keep it under the radar

Rhymnosauras

I enquired about this during the first weeks of training, my understanding is they want you to be revising your rules etc whilst at home but got told if I did to keep it under the radar
Is it possible to do it properly and keep it under the radar though? I can still revise and do a bit of delivering. I don't want to work full time, just a bit of extra work while I've got nothing else to do.

Lewlew

Is it possible to do it properly and keep it under the radar though? I can still revise and do a bit of delivering. I don't want to work full time, just a bit of extra work while I've got nothing else to do.
I know some full time drivers that have done that sort of thing. As long as you're not stupid and overdo it and are always available to WMT then you'll be fine. They wouldn't know unless you happen to deliver to your managers house.

CPFC#1

I know some full time drivers that have done that sort of thing. As long as you're not stupid and overdo it and are always available to WMT then you'll be fine. They wouldn't know unless you happen to deliver to your managers house.
There is a chance they could find out though because your tax code will probably change once you start getting extra income. This is something I'm debating as I am in the same boat waiting for a DI which could be minimum 3 months.

ggbrf

On Moderation
There is a chance they could find out though because your tax code will probably change once you start getting extra income. This is something I'm debating as I am in the same boat waiting for a DI which could be minimum 3 months.
Your tax code wouldn't change unless you want it to change.

Keep the 2nd job as "BR" aka basic rate.

the sniper

Established Member

You should ask your local/company ASLEF rep.

choochoochoo

Established Member
Depending on your TOC, some will back pay your full driver salary upon passing out if there is a delay to your training.

So depending on how pressing your need is, you might not need to have the second job.

Best to check with your reps.

Plenty of drivers have side-hustles - Just make sure they're not too tiring that you turn up to work already fatigued.

JasonD

Does anyone know how long the wait is currently? Or how long it’s going to go on for? I’m starting my training in September this year.

Jon1930

Does anyone know how long the wait is currently? Or how long it’s going to go on for? I’m starting my training in September this year.
A very long wait if you are for Birmingham New Street, most likely be sat at home for up to 18 months before they find a instructor, could be 2 years.

JasonD

Keeps getting longer and longer, was hoping with restrictions easing things may have been looking up over the last 4/5 months.

Yes, currently the offer letter I have etc was for New Street, so just got my fingers crossed things ease over the coming 6 months then, but won’t hold my breath!

Efini92

Established Member
I was wondering if anyone had found a second job while waiting for their DI to become available to get their driving hours in? I would like to work if I'm stood down for months but am unsure if this would be against any WMT rules. I'm hoping it wouldn't be a drama if you can make sure you are always available when they need you?
I know some that have done it. Just make sure it’s something you can leave at the drop of a hat as you don’t know when you’ll get called back to work.

dzdoris

Keeps getting longer and longer, was hoping with restrictions easing things may have been looking up over the last 4/5 months.

Yes, currently the offer letter I have etc was for New Street, so just got my fingers crossed things ease over the coming 6 months then, but won’t hold my breath!
It's not ideal but just remember there are thousands who would lose their right arm to swap places with you, even if that meant waiting longer than usual.

JasonD

Yeah, fair point, don’t mind waiting, guess it’s just a case of wanting to get stuck in. Looking forward to it, however long it takes.

dzdoris

Yeah, fair point, don’t mind waiting, guess it’s just a case of wanting to get stuck in. Looking forward to it, however long it takes.
I get it. I started in June and I can't wait to get out there and drive trains :)

12guard4

No you can't. Something cash in hand you'd get away with. Do you want to lose your job because you can't sit at home and do nothing on 40k though??

ggbrf

On Moderation
No you can't. Something cash in hand you'd get away with. Do you want to lose your job because you can't sit at home and do nothing on 40k though??
Sitting at home and do nothing for 40k is boring as sin. Soul destroying. You got the job to drive trains not to sit at home.

Nothing stopping the OP applying for another company.

Jon1930

Try doing it for 18 months and see how boring it can get, I know a feel trainees who are still sat at home since March 2020 and haven't heard a thing from WMT for months, sitting at home doing nothing sounds great but in reality it can get boring especially during these covid times.

Status
Not open for further replies.