• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Secrets Of The London Underground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It was nice to see all of the tilework in such good condition at British Museum !

In the next episode, I couldn't hel but notice that the mock-up carriage/classroom was done out in Network SouthEast moquette :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
It was nice to see all of the tilework in such good condition at British Museum !

In the next episode, I couldn't hel but notice that the mock-up carriage/classroom was done out in Network SouthEast moquette :)
Luckily the Museum itself isn't responsible for looking after the disused station, or a curator might have stolen the tiles :E

John Luxton

Established Member
I was watching Episode 8 of series 3 on UKTV Play last night and Tim briefly mentioned Redbridge station.

I thought there might just be some refence to the "Department S" Episode from 1970s "Last Train to Redbridge". However, that connection was not made. Probably a bit before Tim's time!

Those of a certain age will probably remember "Department S" with the lead character played Jason King by Peter Wyngarde.

One episode captured my imagination and it is the only episode I can actually remember and that is "Last Train to Redbridge".

Passengers on tube train are murdered. During the investigations King finds himself in a disused part of the London Underground complete with 1940s posters.

I was only 10 years old at the time but it made me wonder if disused bits of the London Underground really did exist.

Not long after that my parents bought me a copy of "Britain's Railways at War" by OS Nock.

This book had information on the disused Down Street Station and its conversion to REC HQ during WWII reavaling that disused parts of the London Underground did exist and were not just from TV fiction.

REVUpminster

I was watching Episode 8 of series 3 on UKTV Play last night and Tim briefly mentioned Redbridge station.

I thought there might just be some refence to the "Department S" Episode from 1970s "Last Train to Redbridge". However, that connection was not made. Probably a bit before Tim's time!

Those of a certain age will probably remember "Department S" with the lead character played Jason King by Peter Wyngarde.

One episode captured my imagination and it is the only episode I can actually remember and that is "Last Train to Redbridge".

Passengers on tube train are murdered. During the investigations King finds himself in a disused part of the London Underground complete with 1940s posters.

I was only 10 years old at the time but it made me wonder if disused bits of the London Underground really did exist.

Not long after that my parents bought me a copy of "Britain's Railways at War" by OS Nock.

This book had information on the disused Down Street Station and its conversion to REC HQ during WWII reavaling that disused parts of the London Underground did exist and were not just from TV fiction.

All the English versions seem to be taken down. The uniforms were authentic. Filming was White City depot and the cutting nearby I think. Redbridge was only chosen by the writer because it sounded better to the Americans. Great music theme by Edwin Astley. The best episode has to be Six Days.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Hardly surprising that one of many programmes filmed on the Underground - and a relatively niche one at that - doesn’t get a shout out. You could make a series itself just on film and television programme filmed or set on the Tube.

It’s also not particularly surprising that something that had minimal, if any, filming done at the named location is featured. Most of the underground scenes, including the train, was at Aldwych or on the branch. What is on the Central line is, for the most part, of Wanstead.

REVUpminster

Hardly surprising that one of many programmes filmed on the Underground - and a relatively niche one at that - doesn’t get a shout out. You could make a series itself just on film and television programme filmed or set on the Tube.

It’s also not particularly surprising that something that had minimal, if any, filming done at the named location is featured. Most of the underground scenes, including the train, was at Aldwych or on the branch. What is on the Central line is, for the most part, of Wanstead.
I wouldn't say Department S was a niche programme although 35mm film television production studio based from 1955 -1971/2 was coming to end to be replaced with more location based series such as The Sweeny and The Professionals using 16mm film.

Lost property

Just watched the programme about Holborn and, apart from how the station is used for development trials, the bit about the signallers box for such a short route was another reason the programme is both entertaining and informative.

That said, it must have been mind numbingly boring to have been a signaller in there for a shift and the same for a driver operating the route.

Basil Jet

On Moderation
That said, it must have been mind numbingly boring to have been a signaller in there for a shift and the same for a driver operating the route.
I would have thought from a driver's point of view, the Aldwych shuttle would be a lot more interesting than the Victoria Line, because you're stretching your legs every few minutes.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Just watched the programme about Holborn and, apart from how the station is used for development trials, the bit about the signallers box for such a short route was another reason the programme is both entertaining and informative.

Holborn (Picc) was a very busy cabin and controlled much more than just the branch; indeed once a train was ‘locked in’ there was no further requirement for the signal operator to do anything until it was time to come off. It is a shame (but not entirely surprising) that the impression to the contrary is given.

Lost property

Holborn (Picc) was a very busy cabin and controlled much more than just the branch; indeed once a train was ‘locked in’ there was no further requirement for the signal operator to do anything until it was time to come off. It is a shame (but not entirely surprising) that the impression to the contrary is given.
Thanks for that.

I am bemused because you appear to contradict yourself in my underlined above plus, given the detailed accuracy the programme is notable for, how would the misleading impression be given.

As I recall, the programme showed the inside of the small box and the manual levers plus, sorry if this is the wrong term, the route diagram which was clearly very short.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
I don’t.

Holborn (Picc) controlled more than just the Aldwych branch. Once trains were signalled on and off the branch there was nothing for the signal operator to do with regards to the branch; they would still operate the rest of the cabin. It is misleading for the programme to suggest that it was there only to control the branch - Aldwych and Holborn platform 5 towards Aldwych had no signals after the line was singled. The cabin did control movements on and off the branch (to/from Holborn platform 5) and other movements on the main Piccadilly route.

REVUpminster

Surely cabins like Holborn, Liverpool St, and Marble Arch would have a King Lever when point movements were not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.