• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"See it, say it, sorted"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
So actually you don't have any figures or evidence to back up your point of view..... and just to add that there haven't been any cuts in healthcare, NHS spending continues to go up.

I know 3 people who had their benefits cut and are now dead. People with mental health issues. No I am not about to give you their names and the exact details and I don't care if you believe me or not.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
If you see something that doesnt look right:

1. Thats a 4 car voyager on a 7 car HST working, bugger not right, not to mention crouded and horrid.

2. A passenger at a Scotrail station hugging an empty bottle of Tesco Own Label Whisky and morning another part of his soul which just died after the 4th rerun of the Dreary patronising woman from controll delivering the BTP message in a manner better suited to addressing aparticularly dim whitted 5 year old at a funeral

yes, the Saltire version of this announcement really is worse than Atos Anne.

I too have little faith in BTP and also feel the announcement is worded in such a way that it sounds really patronising and therefor dums down the point.

If it just said something like if you have any non urgent concerns or issues then text the BTP on whatever. This would be fine.

Wonder how the version by the GWR on-board auto announcer on 165/166 units compares to that? :lol:

kevjs

No they are not going to. But someone suspicious could set off on a from any station to carry out such an attack.

its actually see it, say it, sorted in order to avoid that very idea

http://www.btp.police.uk/latest_news/see_it_say_it_sorted_new_natio.aspx

The majority of people don't wear headphones and they aren't pointless announcements. I honestly don't understand the majority of complaints about this subject.
hmm, it's not very clear then - could have sworn it was see it at our sort it. In any case it was so irritating after less than five minutes if put the headphones on to tune it out - I'm sure one day the contrast stream of audible dihoreea on the railway network with will mean I don't hear something important.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I saw two men in tracksuits get out of an unmarked transit van and break into some railway property using bolt cutters, so I called the BTP. Two hours later I got a call back telling me that they were contractors to Network Rail and the key to the padlock at that location had been lost :)

I also find 'See it, say it, sorted' annoying, because it doesn't rhyme properly. For ages I thought it was 'See it, say it, sort it' - encouraging vigilante intervention!

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
I don't mind the 'See It, Say It, Sorted' messages. They'll probably start disappearing after a while anyway. I don't mind Anne's, though the man that Southern use for it is probably my favourite. The Welsh lady that ATW use is by far the worst though, her emphasis is on the wrong words "IF YOU see something that doesn't look RIGHT...". They've also got her to record a few other things as well such as one about sloping platforms etc. Annoying.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The main problem with "See it, say it, sorted" is that some (most?) TOCs have applied it incorrectly! The original request was for it to be played at the 25(ish) "Category A" stations (essentially all of the London terminals, plus New Street, Bristol Temple Meads, Cardiff Central, Leeds, Lime Street High Level, Manchester Piccadilly and York), but (as noted in this very thread) some TOCs apply it to their whole route, even those in Category F.

mpthomson

I know 3 people who had their benefits cut and are now dead. People with mental health issues. No I am not about to give you their names and the exact details and I don't care if you believe me or not.

You have my condolences for that.

Ibex

The main problem with "See it, say it, sorted" is that some (most?) TOCs have applied it incorrectly! The original request was for it to be played at the 25(ish) "Category A" stations (essentially all of the London terminals, plus New Street, Bristol Temple Meads, Cardiff Central, Leeds, Lime Street High Level, Manchester Piccadilly and York), but (as noted in this very thread) some TOCs apply it to their whole route, even those in Category F.

Yup, total overkill. Also worth noting that "Remember your three S's" is actually only intended for when the threat level is raised to critical, I'm sure EMT and at least one other are using it all the time.

physics34

Established Member
i think what is irritating is when trains are delayed etc, you get this announcement blasted at you every few minutes (its really loud at London Bridge)..and yet no announcements about your trains.......

Deepgreen

Established Member
While I understand its purpose, the phrase is clumsy and irritating - perhaps it was always meant to be. The mixture of tenses is awkward and doesn't work. It just adds to the railway's increasingly poor reputation for quality of communications.

Why not simply; "report anything suspicious", or similar? In any case, I can't imagine there is anyone these days who needs to be told to report anything suspicious.

GWR, in particular, have their usual verbose version, which exhorts us to "report anything suspicious or anyone behaving suspiciously" (i.e. the same thing) "to a member of staff or the British Transport Police" (who else would a report be made to?).

The present regime of information (on the railway and elsewhere) seems to be that the more words that are used, the more erudite the message is supposed to sound, when the opposite is true. Less is more.

EM2

Established Member
GWR, in particular, have their usual verbose version, which exhorts us to "report anything suspicious or anyone behaving suspiciously" (i.e. the same thing) "to a member of staff or the British Transport Police" (who else would a report be made to?).
A bag with wires sticking out of it and a flashing red light is suspicious. If you didn't see who left it, you didn't see anyone behaving suspiciously. So they're not the same thing.
If you're not a frequent traveller, you may not know that there's such a body as the British Transport Police. All it is is additional information to help people.

gazthomas

Established Member
This is getting me down. On an SWR 159 heading west and it seems to be such a basic, ill thought out phrase. Guards will be called Geezers next!

Parallel

Established Member
On GWR, I am under the impression that virtually every station with automated announcements plays this. It sounds a bit out of place at such places as Barnstaple, Castle Cary or Bradford-on-Avon.

ATW only plays it at some of their large stations. The thing that doesn't make sense is that they've got two different recordings of the same thing, one loud version and one quiet version, and they both get played within minutes of each other! Also the emphasis on words is all wrong. The lady who recorded this has said "IF you see something THAT doesn't look RIGHT, speak to staff or TEXT BRITISH Transport Police..."
---
I think something like "You see it, you report it, we'll sort it" would have been better.

lammergeier

EMT have gone out on a toe-curling limb and made their own version. Inexplicably they implore us to "Remember the three S's - See it... etc." Now to me, the three S's involve bathroom activities soon after getting out of bed, so why they want us to remember them I'm none too sure. It would be funny if it wasn't so cringeworthy

whhistle

On Moderation
A bag with wires sticking out of it and a flashing red light is suspicious.
Not if it's next to Father Christmas :P

The problem is that using the old red flashing light is something from movies.

swaldman

I can't help feeling that increasing the frequency of useless announcements means that we just stop listening, and don't hear when there's something important.

takno

Established Member
I can't help feeling that increasing the frequency of useless announcements means that we just stop listening, and don't hear when there's something important.
Absolutely, what if I tune out after a terrorist announcement and miss a reminder that ice is slippery? I can't be expected to figure this stuff out on my own...

BestWestern

Established Member
A bag with wires sticking out of it and a flashing red light is suspicious. If you didn't see who left it, you didn't see anyone behaving suspiciously. So they're not the same thing.
If you're not a frequent traveller, you may not know that there's such a body as the British Transport Police. All it is is additional information to help people.

However, particularly given the BTP's limited resources and truly legendary reputation for not turning up, perhaps just "police" would do? I'm sure the local force control rooms have got the BTP's number. Indeed if somebody didn't know who the BTP were, is being instructed to contact them and not the 'normal' police not likely to add confusion?

shredder1

Established Member
I had a car pinched from a station car park once, (Mills Hill, Chadderton), and phoned the police, they said it wasn't their problem and referred me to BTP. To their credit BTP were marvellous and actually found my car and contacted me a number of times during the process, all credit to them.

LowLevel

Established Member
It still grates but it has to be done on trains every 30 minutes or on arrival/departure from certain stations, whichever is more frequent. I and I believe all of my colleagues I've ever spoken to on the matter absolutely hate it but we generally get on with it because otherwise it could be a disciplinary matter. It makes you sound like a moron.

Our job cards are even printed with "PLEASE REMEMBER YOUR SECURITY ANNOUNCEMENTS".

6Gman

Established Member
Mind you, it's not as irritating as the frequent announcement that "This is the security monitoring centre ..."

No it isn't. It's a recorded message.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
To my ears it's just fluff.

Hopefully it has a positive effect on others but it has not caused me to change my views or ways of thinking at all. This is because generally you do not see anything that could be considered "suspicious".

You are far more likely to witness openly unacceptable or illegal behavior, and in my experience it's just good luck if you're able to speak to someone who can do anything about that.

Established Member
Could have a poster version. With some TV presenter in a track-suit. Like BR did in the 80s. I wonder who? <D <D <D

Parallel

Established Member
Wonder how the version by the GWR on-board auto announcer on 165/166 units compares to that? :lol:
This announcement is also on the refurbished GWR 158s and 150s. “SEE IT!... SAY IT... SorTED!!” Beyond patronising. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.