• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeing forum members unexpectedly

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Any other forum members on the 1315 class 385 ex Queen Street to Edinburgh on the 24th?

Was speaking to one chap (who recognised my voice from the Queen Street updates ;) ) but not sure if he was a member.

Stayed on the train for the return journey (1415 ex EDB).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BluePenguin

On Moderation
Just been talking to @BluePenguin on 142030, after he saw me logging into the forum:D
Yes I came over for a quick chat. It was nice to meet you today :D

I am up Liverpool this week visiting my friend this week. We were at Liverpool Lime Street (Low Level) and has just missed a train to Chester and so had to wait 12 minutes for the next one. I noticed a boy with a bit of a beard but but didn't know who he was at the time.

Just after we left Birkenhead I heard a voice talking loudly about trains, unit numbers and and how the West Coast Mainline was not near the coast and now the East Coast was only really the coast from Newcastle. I looked over and saw that there were two boys sat diagonally behind us. One of them was @185143 who I had seen stood on the platform with us.

I was going to say hello and ask whether he was on the forum but as he was with someone and I was with my friend and we had somewhere we needed to be, I flaked out. But the curiosity killed me all day. I even messaged @Merseysider and @Merseytart out of the blue incase it was either of them.

Back in Liverpool my friend and I got on the train to go home and who should I see opposite us further down the carriage! My friend told me to pull myself together and to go over and say hello so we moved down and sat oppose him. Funnily enough he was coincidentally on the forum at the time. I said hello, and I am glad I did :D

trainophile

Established Member
Don't you feel a bit silly when you introduce yourself by your forum name? :lol: Not just you, I mean all of us who made up a name that seemed perfectly sensible at the time!

The_Train

Established Member
Don't you feel a bit silly when you introduce yourself by your forum name? :lol: Not just you, I mean all of us who made up a name that seemed perfectly sensible at the time!

I would feel as though I would need to introduce my forum name in the style of the X Factor voice over guy

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I bumped into @SickyNicky at Reading station this evening as I was making my way to board the front of westbound IET.
Indeed you did. Just as I was about to board a Hereford train. Which turned out to be a 5 coach IET instead of an 8 coach HST, so was completely overcrowded. I thought GWR had worked out that they couldn't substitute the 5 coach IETs in the peak, but clearly someone hasn't seen sense.

trainophile

Established Member
I would feel as though I would need to introduce my forum name in the style of the X Factor voice over guy

Ah, but you have chosen probably the best username on the whole forum! I’m giggling at the vision of you approaching another member and saying “Excuse me, are you on the rail forums? Hi, I’m The_Train”. Trump that! :D

trainophile

Established Member
Indeed you did. Just as I was about to board a Hereford train. Which turned out to be a 5 coach IET instead of an 8 coach HST, so was completely overcrowded. I thought GWR had worked out that they couldn't substitute the 5 coach IETs in the peak, but clearly someone hasn't seen sense.

Did they honour seat reservations?

The_Train

Established Member
Ah, but you have chosen probably the best username on the whole forum! I’m giggling at the vision of you approaching another member and saying “Excuse me, are you on the rail forums? Hi, I’m The_Train”. Trump that! :D

Haha that's just made me think about how introductions between people on here would seem to a 'regular' passenger who overheard them? They'd probably think they've wandered into a parallel universe.

najaB

Veteran Member
Haha that's just made me think about how introductions between people on here would seem to a 'regular' passenger who overheard them? They'd probably think they've wandered into a parallel universe.
For you two it would just get weird: "Hello, I'm trainophile, are you the_train I'm looking for?'

NoOnesFool

Lol I guess saying "I'm Trainophile" outloud could prove awkward if misheard!

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Okay, there's a challenge - which one of us has the most unpronounceable name?
Well....

Tray-no-fyal (kinda easy)

Tee-tee-oh-en-arr-en-arr-en (a bit of a mouthful)

Then again, I’ve been told I’m just referred to as “TT-Whatsit” by forum staff which is certainly quite amusing :lol:

trainophile

Established Member
Lol I guess saying "I'm Trainophile" outloud could prove awkward if misheard!

Don't think I haven't regretted choosing such an ambiguous name ever since I signed up! I might ask Admin if it's possible to change it without losing my post count, not that that matters but I don't want to have to begin again.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I saw @nat67 on Reading station today whilst the HST I was travelling on stopped there - I was able to have a brief word with him thanks to the HST drop light window! (won't be able to do that when it's an IET!).

trainophile

Established Member
How do you all recognise eachother? Unless people are talking loudly about the forums (or other members on here) or you spot them looking at the website, it must be a chance in a million of seeing someone who we only know by their forum name. Alternatively you may well have met before? :lol:

cactustwirly

Established Member

I believe it is booked to be a 9 car IET, I'm guessing it was either the 1652 or 1752 from Reading?

The_Train

Established Member
How do you all recognise eachother? Unless people are talking loudly about the forums (or other members on here) or you spot them looking at the website, it must be a chance in a million of seeing someone who we only know by their forum name. Alternatively you may well have met before? :lol:

I'd thought that but the forum meets is an obvious answer I guess. The closest I've known to be near someone off here was @Skymonster at Nuneaton but I'd have never known it at the time. Just so happened that he posted a pic of a train that I had happened to be stood near to at the time. I've mentioned that I use this forum to a few people I've got chatting to at stations and none of ever said they use it

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
We don't issue caps, however we do brand with a hot iron rod. ;)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
My brother and I must have spoken to like a million of the older men who sit at the end of Reading station by now. ONE of them will have been a forum member, surely? :lol:

Also, I’m in the West Midlands area quite a lot these days. If you see a teenager swooning when a Pendolino approaches, hi. :)