• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeing forum members unexpectedly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Did a forum member just board a Class 318 operated train at Singer and alight at Drumry, armed with a Quail map?

Crossover

Established Member
We have just bumped into TimSYoung40145 on a service from Ayr to Glasgow via Kilmarnock as we have come from Girvan

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe the last time I posted in this thread was when I saw TEW at Sheffield station; well tonight I've just bumped into him again, on the 1917 from Portsmouth to Waterloo. I got on at Basingrad and turned around as we arrived at Woking to find him standing in the vestibule behind me!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A group of us (starmill, Crossover, Samgeorge965 and IanXC) coming back from the Cumbrian Coast meet bumped into yorksrob who joined at Ribblehead to Settle on the S&C before leaving us for some Spam fritters! Most unexpected!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A group of us (starmill, Crossover, Samgeorge965 and IanXC) coming back from the Cumbrian Coast meet bumped into yorksrob who joined at Ribblehead to Settle on the S&C before leaving us for some Spam fritters! Most unexpected!

Indeed, but I can assure the forum that the spam fritters are delicious!

Crossover

Established Member
Second time bumping into yorksrob unexpectedly - sure it won't be the last!

Unexpected for me, too, was having D6700 join our train earlier (Cumbrian Coast 37's - not sure if any of the rest of the group were expecting them there

Crossover

Established Member
Bumped into 323235 at Manchester Piccadilly tonight, although they had been on our train since Preston. I should have realised as I knew 323235 was on a working into Preston but hadn't made the link until they called me on the moving walkway at Picc!

Crossover

Established Member
Were any forum members on the last Pembroke Dock HST on Saturday, aside from me, starmill and samgeorge965?

There were certainly a few enthusiasts on board - I saw a couple with railway magazines and there was a Paddington TM who was a fellow passenger, too.

CC 72100

Established Member
Travelled on the Chiltern service out of Pad today, couldn't help wondering whether the only other customer on the train was also a forum member given the service involved!

tsr

Established Member
Were any forum members at Eridge or Crowborough yesterday afternoon? I may have seen you at some point from a certain small green diesel running a bit late...

mikeg

Established Member
Sorry for the bump, but just met NSEfan yesterday (or today in railway days)...

Not met him before but happened to mention it in passing that I'm on the forum and it turned out he was NSEfan.

Met him on Barnetby station, with a few other rail enthusiasts, then got on a pacer to Retford via Brigg but he had to go to Doncaster before I got to see the kettle there (I may post pictures of the Duchess of Sutherland if I can be bothered to write a trip report for my East midlands rover when I've finished doing it....)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was in Manchester for a weekend break and bumped into PermitToTravel in the Arndale Centre today!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I had a few in the last few months. Ran into Jordy this afternoon after work, and similarly Kite159 on Friday similar time. In November I ran into Chris87019 on an XC HST, and I am sure earlier in the year 185143 at Oxford Road.

All those in addition to unexpected sightings while I was with other forum members.

Established Member
I had a few in the last few months. Ran into Jordy this afternoon after work, and similarly Kite159 on Friday similar time. In November I ran into Chris87019 on an XC HST, and I am sure earlier in the year 185143 at Oxford Road.

All those in addition to unexpected sightings while I was with other forum members.
You did indeed run into me at MCO, before the Todmorden meal IIRC?

Crossover

Established Member
A few of us bumped into Jordy on Friday night - we were heading to catch the Highland Sleeper and we found Jordy loitering around the 90 that had dragged the stock into Euston :lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As I was boarding a train at Littleborough today I saw 185143 (plus a youngster) had just alighted from the train. Didn't have much time to say hello though!

Yesterday I had anon mouse as my guard, first time for ages, I said I often saw crossforth, only to be told he was in the front coach of the same train!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
l was at Edinburgh station on Monday and bumped into scotsman.

Established Member
As above, I saw Yorkie as I alighted from a train at Littleborough. During a supply raid in the co op, I recieved a text from Yorkie saying that SamGeorge965 and PermitToTravel were boarding the southbound train we were intending to board!

Coincidences eh?

Flamingo

Established Member
I've not (knowingly) seen anybody in ages...

Should I take it personally? :)

richw

Veteran Member
I've not (knowingly) seen anybody in ages...

Should I take it personally? :)

It's knowingly that's the key.

I was on a 150/1 in Cornwall with 3+2 seating on the aisle seat of the 3. The man in the window seat was reading Railway Magazine, and noting down the train's number. I suspect he could be from the forum somewhere!

Likewise I wouldn't know if you checked my tickets on your service, and I wouldn't know if you had checked my tickets.

LowLevel

Established Member
It's knowingly that's the key.

I was on a 150/1 in Cornwall with 3+2 seating on the aisle seat of the 3. The man in the window seat was reading Railway Magazine, and noting down the train's number. I suspect he could be from the forum somewhere!

Likewise I wouldn't know if you checked my tickets on your service, and I wouldn't know if you had checked my tickets.

That's half the fun :)

I've checked several people on here's tickets, and even had a brief conversation with one or two, and yet they don't know it's me :lol:

I do sometimes out myself either in person or by PM on here but I wouldn't do so on the public forum itself as I do try to pay at least lip service to my employer's social media policy, which allows me a bit more freedom in my postings.

I have actually met quite a few folk over the years, particularly among the more senior in membership years of the forum staff.

trainophile

Established Member
That's half the fun :)

I've checked several people on here's tickets, and even had a brief conversation with one or two, and yet they don't know it's me :lol:

I do sometimes out myself either in person or by PM on here but I wouldn't do so on the public forum itself as I do try to pay at least lip service to my employer's social media policy, which allows me a bit more freedom in my postings.

I have actually met quite a few folk over the years, particularly among the more senior in membership years of the forum staff.

How do you know who they are, if they don't know you, so presumably you haven't met socially previously?

Gathursty

Established Member
I've only met those who were at the Marsden meal. When was that now? Great boat ride though! I'll be in London then Cornwall at the end of July if anyone else is.