• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeing forum members unexpectedly

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is a Forum trip to Devon and Cornwall 23 and 24 July (traveling down on 22 July using the Sleeper).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
I've not (knowingly) seen anybody in ages...

Should I take it personally? :)

Have often wondered if you have been my guard from the last few months of travelling to Bristol but never seen anyone pink yet ;)

LowLevel

Established Member
How do you know who they are, if they don't know you, so presumably you haven't met socially previously?

What Yorkie said - I've seen my trains listed in trip reports, which I always enjoy reading in any case.

Another way is Facebook - I am friends with a few members of the forum so when they post pictures up of meets and such they sometimes include user names etc - for example I know I saw Starmill's ticket on a Crewe - Derby train some time ago when he was doing some kind of rover as his previous identity gave his name away somewhat, not to mention rovers being comparatively uncommon so they make me pay slightly more attention! I've also gripped Haydn before as he's something of a regular on our depot's trains so it basically makes it inevitable that we will cross paths from time to time. I have no idea how obvious I am though!

I've also been lurking around rather longer than my register date might suggest so I remember an era when people posted pictures up of each other rather more than they do now.

Several of the staff know me well enough to assure you there's nothing sinister in it, it just amuses me in a small way :) Who I am is no particular secret (my managers have been aware of it!), I'm just aware of people who have been disciplined for postings using their own name online and I try and avoid that issue.

Flamingo

Established Member
Have often wondered if you have been my guard from the last few months of travelling to Bristol but never seen anyone pink yet ;)

I haven't been working many Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads trains lately. Just the way the rosters work.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Although he couldn't remember his user name off hand, I encountered the guard for the last Northern Rail trip from Manchester Picc to Crewe and then the last Crewe to Manchester Picc by the airport... He spoke of the website by name and by had been looking at people taking their last Northern Rail trips.

I do have him on twitter as it happens

Flamingo

Established Member
I wonder if the two chaps on ALR's in Cardiff today were members? They were having a few days bashing, but the wet weather meant I had to direct them to somewhere to buy trousers as wearing shorts in Wales were a bit optimistic!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder if the two chaps on ALR's in Cardiff today were members? They were having a few days bashing, but the wet weather meant I had to direct them to somewhere to buy trousers as wearing shorts in Wales were a bit optimistic!
Possibly BlueFox?

AM9

Veteran Member
I would imagine that there will be a few members on the first 700 through the core to BDM tomorrow, and on the way back.

Clip

Established Member
I haven't been working many Paddington - Bristol Temple Meads trains lately. Just the way the rosters work.

Been alternating between TM and Parkway for the last 6 months as its same distance really to where Im going but traffic dependant in Bristol.

start wearing a carnation in your buttonhole ;)

Flamingo

Established Member
Been alternating between TM and Parkway for the last 6 months as its same distance really to where Im going but traffic dependant in Bristol.

start wearing a carnation in your buttonhole ;)

I already do! ;)

richw

Veteran Member
I'm wondering if I've just been sat opposite a forum member on the down sleeper, back of coachB?
Possible giveaways was when he got off at Par he was taking photos of the train, and had the big thick timetable book planning his next moves.
If it is someone on here your in luck with a green HST just passing the sleeper near St Austell

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP

I've been on a few Paddington to Newport trains lately. I'm going up again next Thursday - I'll try to make the RailUK badge that's pinned to the back of my backpack obvious. But don't expect a carnation!

crehld

Established Member
Was lovely to bump into yorksrob today on the 1925 Lancaster to Leeds train. He even shared one of his beers with me - what a gent!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Last Saturday theblackwatch, Andy and I bumped into 92031 and 158757 at Birmingham New Street, they were also getting on our train through to Leeds.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
What Yorkie said - I've seen my trains listed in trip reports, which I always enjoy reading in any case.

Another way is Facebook - I am friends with a few members of the forum so when they post pictures up of meets and such they sometimes include user names etc - for example I know I saw Starmill's ticket on a Crewe - Derby train some time ago when he was doing some kind of rover as his previous identity gave his name away somewhat, not to mention rovers being comparatively uncommon so they make me pay slightly more attention! I've also gripped Haydn before as he's something of a regular on our depot's trains so it basically makes it inevitable that we will cross paths from time to time. I have no idea how obvious I am though!

I've also been lurking around rather longer than my register date might suggest so I remember an era when people posted pictures up of each other rather more than they do now.

Uh! I knew that was you! I'm slightly surprised you remember that too, it was in July 2015! I would have said hello but decided not to because I wasn't sure if that would interfere with what you reference in the second part of your post.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I saw Jordy on the District line platform at Embankment this morning.

Flamingo

Established Member
I bumped in to Yorkie and Mojo a few weeks ago in South Wales ;)

theblackwatch

Established Member
I had one of these incidents today. I was in London doing some unit moves on my way home after the 4 day GB tour, and walked from City Thameslink to Waterloo. I was walking down a residential road (Roupell Street - incidentally where some of Peggy Mitchell's final scenes were filmed for EastEnders, I recognised it when it was on TV despite living 200 miles away!), and discovered one of the other moderators, bb21, walking the opposite direction while n his work lunch break. :) It really is a small world....

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Resurrecting this a tad - but just bumped into telstarbox in the kitchen of the office block where I work... small world!

Established Member
Bumped into Y961 XBU on a 144 from Leeds to Huddersfield on Saturday night-and again in Liverpool on Monday!