• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeing forum members unexpectedly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Met 158757 on a double Pacer yesterday - not entirely unexpected as we were both going to a forum meetup and had come from roughly the same direction, but we had spent half an hour on the same 155 into Leeds and then transpired to be sat opposite each other on the Pacer but didn't notice each other until around Burley Park!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I may or may not have found a certain bb21 today on an EMT 153 that was far from home...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I may or may not have found a certain bb21 today on an EMT 153 that was far from home...

How much has my hair grown?! :shock:

It was out of my usual patch tbh, and the 153 was most certainly out of its comfort zone.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
How did the 153 perform on the route? I have a soft spot for dogboxes and would hate to think the old gal let you down

It felt like it struggled a little, and we certainly lost about 5 minutes en route, although how much is due to regulation I can't say.

LiftFan

I was watching a video of the last day of the public D stock when I saw myself in Simple Simon's video! Never thought I would see myself on his channel but I guess these things are bound to happen when you go to a more popular enthusiast's event...

cactustwirly

Established Member
I saw nat67 on the 0854 Hereford train at Reading yesterday, whilst I was waiting for the Pembroke HST

Established Member
I'm not sure if he is a member of this forum or not, but a week last Saturday (24th June), I was sat opposite a gentleman who was making a note of the numbers of two Class 142 units at Edge Hill. The unit I was on was 142003 (coupled up to 150144), which left Liverpool South Parkway at 18:22.

Crossover

Established Member
Travelling into Manchester from Shaw and Crompton yesterday to meet Starmill at Piccadilly, I changed trams at Victoria and on boarding the front of tram 3035, bumped into bungle965 who was going into "town" for some other errands (though they met us both later in the day to have a look at 185101's refurb)

One from a while ago but not on this thread, and probably the most bizarre, was myself and Starmill taking the Parly service to Teesside Airport. We had already completely thrown the guard by preparing to get off the train at the station and the guard was even more astounded at seeing people waiting to board the train there. It transpired that among the joiners were none other than 158757 and 323235!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
1 very confused and disorientated guard! I'll bet the messroom was an interesting place that day.

What did you think of the refurbed 185? I had rather hoped it would come up to Scotland this weekend on the booked 185 turn but sadly not.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I had Crossforth as my guard between Leeds and York a week ago.

(also this next one doesn't really count - as I already knew he was going to be there - but District was on platform duty on the platform from which my planned train to London departed from, after a cycle ride, just now)

AndrewE

Established Member
I suspect that I might -or must - have passed quite a few members face-to-face over the years (and have probably worked with more than a couple) but never recognised anyone... maybe I shall have to attend a meet-up some time!
A

A Challenge

Established Member
I had Crossforth as my guard between Leeds and York a week ago.

(also this next one doesn't really count - as I already knew he was going to be there - but District was on platform duty on the platform from which my planned train to London departed from, after a cycle ride, just now)
Where from (to London I mean)?

Crossover

Established Member
Another interesting one today - a few of us were attempting the TPE diverts, but the service from 1310 Sheffield towards York got canned at Sheffield due to the developing problems around Shaftholme.

Rather than squeeze onto the suggested, and already crammed, Voyager, we decided to take the 1324 Northern stopper heading to Bridlington, which was much quieter. On boarding and walking through the train, we bumped into Philip Brown heading to Sheffield who, as a further twist, hadn't been intending travelling on this particular service (like us!) but was running a little late themselves!

Philip Brown

Another interesting one today - a few of us were attempting the TPE diverts, but the service from 1310 Sheffield towards York got canned at Sheffield due to the developing problems around Shaftholme.

Rather than squeeze onto the suggested, and already crammed, Voyager, we decided to take the 1324 Northern stopper heading to Bridlington, which was much quieter. On boarding and walking through the train, we bumped into Philip Brown heading to Sheffield who, as a further twist, hadn't been intending travelling on this particular service (like us!) but was running a little late themselves!

Indeed it was me! I was heading from Sheffield to Meadowhall (not for shopping, but to watch some sport at the nearby SHU Sports Park though!), and after missing my intended yellow route Supertram service from Hillsborough, instead took a blue service to Sheffield Station and made up time by catching the train to Meadowhall. I then later saw IanXC, starmill, yorkie,Bungle965 and of course crossover a second time - although this time by arrangement - immediately upon returning to the city centre after the match, as they had just got back to Sheffield aboard an EMT Voyager service from York!

This is made all the more amusing because the night before (Saturday 5th), I had been returning from the Forum Meet at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and after catching the Pickering-York bus with a number of people named above, boarded the delayed 2135 CrossCountry from York to Sheffield. As I alighted the train and exited the station, who did I find consulting the departure board but Yorksrob - who hadn't also been at the NYMR but was instead returning to West Yorkshire from watching a rugby game in Leigh! We each had about half an hour until our respective bus/train took us each home (themselves departing within 4 minutes of one another!) so were able to swap notes on the pros and cons of TPE running their services from Newcastle to Manchester instead via Doncaster, Sheffield and Stockport due to the closure of the line through Huddersfield!

So all in all, I only saw the motley crew for the first time on Sunday as a) TPE were diverting their services via South Yorkshire b) said service had been hit by a broken down train and c) I was running late; while the day before, Yorksrob was only passing through Sheffield because of a) and I had only seen him due to c)!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
So all in all, I only saw the motley crew for the first time on Sunday as a) TPE were diverting their services via South Yorkshire b) said service had been hit by a broken down train and c) I was running late; while the day before, Yorksrob was only passing through Sheffield because of a) and I had only seen him due to c)!

Yes, it was good to catch up over a scotch egg !

Funnily enough, whilst I had gone that way in the morning because of the closure of Huddersfield, the route has actually become a bit of a favourite for coming back - not least because of the chance to get a bit of IC125 action in !

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We unexpectedly saw godfreycomplex handing out water at Waterloo yesterday evening!

This was only a couple of days after unexpectedly seeing him on a London Overground service from Clapham Junction, although wasn't quite as surprising as we were all on our way to the forum meal in South London.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Today I was at the Talyllyn Railway and whilst at Tywyn station I thought I recognised a member of the platform staff, though I wasn't sure. Later when I got chance I did some digging on here and social media, which confirmed my thoughts and I had seen Simon11. Had I not been with family I would have approached you, so if you recognised me I apologise if I seemed to ignore you! :D

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
On the 26th of August I was out on the Chiltern 47s and bumped into Bungle965 on the afternoon service from Marylebone to Moor Street. Then, later in the day, I spotted bb21, who was getting the afternoon service from Moor Street.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've just seen both 91101 and 43074 simultaneously at King's Cross!

Established Member
Myself and Northern Pacer have just bumped into Trainophile on a 507! She overheard us talking about Fishquinn being on a pacer...

trainophile

Established Member
Woohoo my first coup! On a Merseyrail to Chester and my ears pricked up at the conversation of the two chaps in the bay in front of me. Obviously serious rail fans.

Then they mentioned something (someone actually) that clinched it and I had to say hello. It was 185143 and Northern Pacer! :D

Just in time as they got off at Hooton. Have a great day guys, lovely to meet you :D .

Edit: Oh, they beat me to it!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On Sunday at the LT Museum depot open weekend I was stopped by furlong.

On Monday I had just come up the escalators from the LU station into St Pancras Int'l and I saw Pumbaa, on his way to work.

D365

Veteran Member
Would it be normal to presume a passenger reading a railway magazine with lots of Class 68 news, be a member of our delightful community?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would it be normal to presume a passenger reading a railway magazine with lots of Class 68 news, be a member of our delightful community?

You'd think so but I've asked all kinds of people if they're forum members and so far only one actually was and he doesn't generally post things. At least that's what they all told me...