• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeking map of only deep tube tunnels

Status
Not open for further replies.

posix

Hello, I'm seeking a map showing only the deep tube tunnels (the underground portions of Victoria, Central, Bakerloo, Piccadilly, Jubilee, Northern), without the aboveground portions of those lines and without any subsurface lines?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you Davy - that's nearly perfect and very helpful!
I think only major thing I can see from that that aren’t Tube tunnels is the Piccadilly line between Hounslow West and Hatton Cross which is twin track tunnel (with a short above ground section for the crane bank). Obviously you also have bits like Bounds Green <> Oakwood where bikes aren’t permitted due to the tunnel at Southgate, but most of the aforementioned section is above ground. S

rebmcr

Established Member
Who is that aimed at?
People who would like to connect to a mobile signal en route.

Similarly, there are notices inside Piccadilly line trains to advise air passengers which parts of the route to Heathrow are appropriate for checking the status of their flight.

stuu

Established Member
People who would like to connect to a mobile signal en route.

Similarly, there are notices inside Piccadilly line trains to advise air passengers which parts of the route to Heathrow are appropriate for checking the status of their flight.
Thanks, that makes sense

rebmcr

Established Member
Yes, though full 4g signal is available in much of the Jubilee's tunnel sections.
The map pre-dates that project, and it's worth keeping around for anyone who might find it useful for other reasons (even if they would not justify the work to create one from scratch).

Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member
Hello, I'm seeking a map showing only the deep tube tunnels (the underground portions of Victoria, Central, Bakerloo, Piccadilly, Jubilee, Northern), without the aboveground portions of those lines and without any subsurface lines?
Waterloo and City?

posix

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. In case you are interested, I asked because I just hired my first employee to move to London and work for me. I have told him he can take taxis at my expense to avoid the deep tube lines until he gets vaccinated for covid, under the assumption their poor ventilation makes them at least somewhat more risky than other lines (debatable). He doesn't know London, so he asked where the policy applies, hence my question to you all. I think Davy Crocket's bike map is very close to what I need, and I can easily explain the exceptions to my employee. Wolfie correctly pointed out I overlooked Waterloo & City, and it could be argued my policy should also apply to the Northern City Line. If anyone can think of any other underground rail around London with comparably poor ventilation, I'd be interested in hearing. Thanks again!

rebmcr

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. In case you are interested, I asked because I just hired my first employee to move to London and work for me. I have told him he can take taxis at my expense to avoid the deep tube lines until he gets vaccinated for covid, under the assumption their poor ventilation makes them at least somewhat more risky than other lines (debatable). He doesn't know London, so he asked where the policy applies, hence my question to you all. I think Davy Crocket's bike map is very close to what I need, and I can easily explain the exceptions to my employee. Wolfie correctly pointed out I overlooked Waterloo & City, and it could be argued my policy should also apply to the Northern City Line. If anyone can think of any other underground rail around London with comparably poor ventilation, I'd be interested in hearing. Thanks again!
There really is not much difference at all once the doors are closed and one is inside a carriage with other passengers. Even if it's a hot day and the end windows are open, the aerodynamics of the tunnels tend to force more of a breeze than when 'outside'.

It's a very kind policy you're offering (and an employee who feels cared-for will probably go on to be very loyal indeed!), but I think it only makes sense to apply it to all trains, tubes, and buses in any location; or to apply it to none. The only factor I think is relevant for the deep tubes is if he will actually be boarding or alighting there, and thus using crowded escalators or lifts — if that's the case then swapping to a taxi at a quieter station that's most of the way there might be optimal.

posix

@rebmcr I agree it's debatable how big the difference is. My clients are located all over London so I have travelled much of the tube system for work over the past 20 years. I have noticed that the air quality (subjective "freshness") inside the deep tube carriages improves very noticeably immediately after the carriages exit tunnels to open air, but I haven't noticed the same effect on the subsurface lines. Therefore I assume (unscientificaly) that the airborne viral concentration is somewhat higher in the deep tunnels. I understand the viral load of an exposure directly influences the likelihood of infection, so I assume there is a higher risk inside a carriage with apparently stale air. Regardless of the science, my new employee is outstanding in every way and I feel incredibly fortunate to have him. I know he is touched and grateful for my concern for his health, so as you say it will likely breed further loyalty even if it doesn't actually help protect him. Fortunately we only need to visit clients once a week or so, and we agreed that it will only apply until he is vaccinated, so it won't cost me a fortune.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I agree it's debatable how big the difference is. My clients are located all over London so I have travelled much of the tube system for work over the past 20 years. I have noticed that the air quality (subjective "freshness") inside the deep tube carriages improves very noticeably immediately after the carriages exit tunnels to open air, but I haven't noticed the same effect on the subsurface lines. Therefore I assume (unscientificaly) that the airborne viral concentration is somewhat higher in the deep tunnels.
I'd argue that what you notice shows that air exchange between train interior and tunnel is very effective. The volume of the tunnels & stations is such that the viral load will be insignificant in the tunnels (far more harmful is the usual brake dust/etc in the tunnels)

trebor79

Established Member
TFL have been swabbing trains, stations and taking air samples all through the pandemic and have found precisely no coronavirus.
I mean it's your business and everything, but this seems like a bizarre stance and totally unnecessary cost. And if your employee is vaccinated (or soon will be), it's all moot isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.