• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seen any nice birds (in unusual places)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel3982

I know we've all probably seen some animal life or other while using the tube (mostly of the small furry and 4 legged kind), but was wondering if birds ever make it down onto the tube either through flying up the tunnels through the portals or by coming down from street level. What's the strangest place that someone has seen a bird whilst on the tube? For example I guess it wouldn't be so strange to see one at the first underground stop on the line, but to see one at platform level at Oxford Circus would take some doing!

What do London Underground do if it ever does happen?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
See pigeons all the time at some stations, and there was footage of one that had learned to get on the Tube at one station and get off at another.

DavyCrocket

Ducks and swans - not in a tune sized tunnel though.
Helium Christmas tree shaped balloon once made it into a running tunnel on the Piccadilly line!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Yes, but not the sort you're talking about ;):lol:

I think Pigeons getting onto the trains is quite common in the open sections. You just have to hope they stand on the floor and don't panic and fly around everywhere.

DavyCrocket

There have also been suspensions of service when mice or rats have chewed through cables in signalling equipment or interlocking machine rooms! And train tripcocks being tripped by foxes, badgers and squirrels!

daniel3982

I remember seeing them fish up a dead fox near Baker St on the Metropolitan on that Tube programme. I wonder what the strangest animal ever to find it's way onto the tube was. We used to have a cat who tried to follow me everywhere when I was a kid living in Newcastle, including onto the Metro when I went to school! Had to try and lose it by suddenly changing direction and running when it went ahead to stalk me! Always worried it would find it's way onto the metro and end up lost somewhere else on the system!

DavyCrocket

Deer, sheep and cows have been known - when the railway is next to farms or wilderness areas

Deerfold

Veteran Member
See pigeons all the time at some stations, and there was footage of one that had learned to get on the Tube at one station and get off at another.

Yes, used to see them on the Central line from Ealing Broadway.

EM2

Established Member
Definitely seen a pigeon travelling on Met A stock, when I got on at Livepool Street.
Rather disconcerting to turn and see those little beady eyes staring at you!

John Webb

Established Member
When I used to go fairly frequently on the Circle line from Charing Cross to South Kensington in my early teens to visit the Science Museum, it was very common to have the pigeons hopping on and off the trains. They seemed to know precisely where they wanted to go.
But I don't recall seeing them ever get onto the platforms, let alone the trains, of the deeper tube lines - not at least in the rush-hour!

ert47

Its not an avian creature, but I saw a Fox walking around the tracks at the London Bridge terminus the other week.

I kinda freaked out when it tried to crawl under the 3rd rail and got shocked! D:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Pterydactyls between Chorleywood and Chalfont but only usually if too much tine was spent in the Sugar Loaves the previous evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.