• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Segregated Toilets on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Last time I used Thalys, I noticed that with each pair of toilets, one is marked male and the other female, and apparently the new EC250 units for SBB will be the same. Whilst the reason for having separate genders in normal public toilets is pretty obvious, I'm curious as to what exactly the point is on a train when it's just individual cubicles, each behind a lockable door?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Last time I used Thalys, I noticed that with each pair of toilets, one is marked male and the other female, and apparently the new EC250 units for SBB will be the same. Whilst the reason for having separate genders in normal public toilets is pretty obvious, I'm curious as to what exactly the point is on a train when it's just individual cubicles, each behind a lockable door?

So the toilet seat is always left down on one. Ha ha.

Established Member

I completely agree with this, because what would happen if for example a train with two cubicles has either the gents or the ladies cubicle out of order?

The same applies to aircraft, the toilet cubicles on those have always been unisex as well.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
This is nothing new in European trains as I'm pretty certain BRs Met Cam Blue Pullman sets also had segregated toilets back in the day.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Until one is out of action.

I suppose as the urinal is less likely to break (being simpler) that would bring on discrimination complaints.

Mind you, it's common practice in Asian countries to provide female sit-down toilets that are "not for solids" - effectively urinals. Maybe that should spread here, as the plumbing is much less complex. Though I doubt the average British passenger is disciplined enough.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Makes you wonder why we bother with segregated toilets anywhere.

Given modern, enlightened views on gender I personally would in most building settings have a room of unisex full-height cubicles (with CCTV in the common area but obviously not in the cubicles) and a room of urinals. Use whichever you see fit.

Jamescoeby

Noticed that Christmas trains are scheduled to be run out of Antonito over several days in December. Will this be out to Lava Loop and back? Anyone have details yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.