• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Self Storage Lockers at Railway Stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

supervc-10

I am quite sure that it is possible to design reasonably bomb-proof lockers. The new 'bomb-proof' bins are designed to 'vent' the blast upwards, and as such to not kill passers by. A left luggage system could be similar, assuming it is placed in an area with the space to vent the explosion upwards.

Reinforced airline baggage containers have been developed too. They were rejected by the airlines for being too heavy, but they were shown to prevent significant damage to the aircraft. That technology could be useful for these?

I totally agree that they're very useful on the continent. They're absolutely perfect for people travelling- I used them a lot when I was interrailing a couple of years ago.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WillPS

Established Member
Not inside stations but relatively nearby:

Kings Cross/St. Pancras - public lockers in the basement of the British Library
Meadowhall - one set of lockers upstairs in the main interchange building, another set across the bridge in the shopping centre.
Sheffield - in the interchange (connected by a covered walkway) beside the coach termini (outside)
Chorley - lockers in the interchange across the road (I think!)

island

Veteran Member
A lot of them have been ripped out because of specious terrorism concerns.

marks87

Established Member
Glasgow Queen Street has lockers, but your bags are searched by an attendant first.

I think Dundee still has its lockers, but they've not been in use for years.

Train jaune

Handy for KX and St Pancras (I even think handy for Euston but then I don't mind the walk). Downstairs at the British Library, £1.00 deposit which you get back when you leave. Just got to make sure you've collected your bag before it shuts at 6pm

lemonic

Nottingham has left-luggage lockers which are accessible 24/7 at the bus station a few minutes walk from the station.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
strangely enough Turkey suffers from rather more terrorısm than the UK these days but stıll has lockers at railway stations

Clip

Established Member
Terrorism is not really the discussion about lockers. Its easier for TOCS and NR to out source baggage so they dont have to deal with the fall out if something gets robbed/misplaced..

Status
Not open for further replies.