• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Selling advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After looking through my OO gauge loco's and rolling stock, I am considering selling off a few items due to just having too much stuff that is not getting used, and to fund some new purchases.

I am really looking for advice on what is the best way to go about selling, and a rough idea of what I should be asking for items, as I don't want to let these items go for next to nothing, I'd rather keep them.

E-Bay seems the sensible option, or would anyone recommend maybe advertising on the model railway section of RailUK?

Amongst others there is a full 7 coach rake Hornby Midland Mainline set, all mint and boxed, and DCC fitted (Although it is the old style Hornby HST as they have not done an up to date Midland Mainline one) and a boxed and working Wrenn class 20.

Midland Mainline HST Photos....
Train Pack http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=3204629908&vendor%5Fid=3006575
Buffet Coach http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=3204631057&vendor%5Fid=3006575
First Class Coach 1 http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=3204630342
First Class Coach 2 http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=3204630696
Standard Class Coach http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=3204631412
TGS http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=3204631751

And the Wrenn Class 20 http://www.photoboxgallery.com/3006575/photo?photo_id=3204626093&vendor%5Fid=3006575

There are other things I intend to pick through when I get time as they are just wasted sat in the boxes not being used.

Any feedback would be great.

CSK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
eBay will almost certainly be the best place - you can set a reserve price so they'll not go for too low an amount. It is a bit of an effort to list them individually, but I find you get more money than doing it in one auction lot.

Thanks Chris, I am leaning toward E-Bay but its forcing myself to sell on some of my stuff in the first place, like I mentioned I don't want to let them do for next to nothing, I'd rather keep them and display them or something along those lines, but I would like them to be some use to someone to, Its tough to let things go.

Just had a quick look on E-Bay and there is a couple of mint condition Wrenn Class 20's on there, at £110 and £120. I know Wrenn are quite hard to get hold of and mine is not in mint condition, but it is in its original box and works.

The Midland mainline coaches are going for between £20 and £25 a piece, but the train pack itself is not on there.

It is really hard to put a price on something like this, as there is a bit of personal value in them to.

eBay will almost certainly be the best place - you can set a reserve price so they'll not go for too low an amount. It is a bit of an effort to list them individually, but I find you get more money than doing it in one auction lot.

I was thinking that I may attract a higher total price for listing the Midland Mainline HST set as a single lot, train pack and all coaches, as having just looked on E-Bay there is only 2 Midland Mainline coaches available and the train pack is not there. The coaches are also different numbers/coach letter and I believe there was only a 7 coach set ever available. Would be nice to see it all go off together.

How much would you want for the whole MML HST?

I have no idea, This is where I'm struggling, I would like a good price as its mint and all boxed, but what is a good price for this, being as it now seems quite hard to get? £100+? I have no idea.

I think the train pack cost me about £90 when I bought it, and the coaches seem to go for around £20. On the downside its second hand, but on the plus side its a complete rake and in mint condition (Although the wheels will need a little clean). The power car is hard wired with a standard Hornby DCC decoder and also has weight added to it to help it pull the full rake, which it did quite well last time I ran it.

:-?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I would try some Model forums first, newrailwaymodelers has a free for sale section for example. RMWeb charge you for selling on their site now, a bit like Ebay do, and, like Ebay, it is a bidding thing, you're probably better off on the bay than there, imo.

Selling as a whole set may seem like a good idea, but selling separately on the bay might get you more money, more people would be willing to pay for individual items than the whole thing, but you do run the risk of not selling everything.

I would try some Model forums first, newrailwaymodelers has a free for sale section for example. RMWeb charge you for selling on their site now, a bit like Ebay do, and, like Ebay, it is a bidding thing, you're probably better off on the bay than there, imo.

Selling as a whole set may seem like a good idea, but selling separately on the bay might get you more money, more people would be willing to pay for individual items than the whole thing, but you do run the risk of not selling everything.

Thanks HHF, I think you make a good point about the risk of not selling the whole HST, I would like to sell it on as a single lot rather than be stuck with the odd coach, but at the end of the day, money is a factor, as that is what I will use to keep my new layout developing.

I think some more head scratching is going to be had yet!

chris89

Established Member
Intresting about RMweb i didnt know that, but havent visited that section of the forum for a while.

Ebay will be your best bet, if you want to afford it going for to little put a reserve on the auction.

Chris

D6975

Established Member
When I sold my Lima Irish mk 3s, what I did was put one up for sale on ebay, listing all the ones I had, saying that the successful buyer could choose which one he/she wanted.
I sold the one via ebay.
I was flooded with offers to buy the others privately, which I did, thus avoiding ebay fees.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I think I am going to test the water buy putting my Wrenn Class 20 on E-Bay later on in the week, maybe with a reserve of £40? I have noticed most Wrenn loco's got for £50, and like I have mentioned before, I would rather keep and display them (at some point, go knows when, and where) than let them go for nothing.

Depending on how it goes, I will put up the full Midland mainline HST as one lot with a reserve, not sure where to set the reserve at yet. I'm keeping it as one lot as it means just one postage to sort, one trip to the Post Office, one lot of packaging etc... and I would love it to go to someone as a complete rake. I may well not get as much money doing that but a good reserve should secure me a decent return on what is now a rare item, well some of it anyway!

Thanks again everyone.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Insertion fees range from nothing for 99p or less upto £1.30 for £100 or more. The final value fee is 10% of the sale price. The reserve fee is in addition to these and is £1+3% of the reserve for less than £100 and £1.30+3% of the reserve for £100 or over. 'Buy It Now' costs 40p if the fee is 99p or more and you still pay the final value fee. And don't forget that Paypal will charge you if they pay that way (you have to accept Paypal as a payment option.

So, if you list an item for £20 start price, you put a reserve of £40 and a Buy It Now price of £50 and someone clicks 'Buy It Now', your fees will be:

50p+£2.20+40p+£5=£8.10

Now if they pay by Paypal (which you have to accept) your Paypal fee is taken out of the £50 first, then Ebay asks you for the fee later.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Occasionally they do no insertion fee weekends (for auctions only, reserve fees and buy it now still apply) which is good if you want a minimum amount, but I haven't noticed any since Christmas.

I'm hoping to get the 20 up this afternoon some time, with a starting price of £40, just got to work out postage and get some pictures.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have not listed any items yet, I had a look at the Wrenn 20 today and it needs a bit of a clean.

I got the Midland mainline HST out to weight it, and I thought I would see if there is any interest on here before I fire them off to E-Bay. Pictures can be found on the first post of this thread and I can give any information required. I am still unsure on what I want for them, so PM me if your interested and have a price you would be interested in putting to me.

My main reason I have not listed the HST yet is because it is very hard to find anywhere to buy now, so should I hold onto it? I can't see it being worth mega money for many many years, if at all. I guess it is because it was one of the first full rakes I got, and it was my local TOC too (Although I do have the much better EMT HST rake now)

Cheers all, CSK

Squaddie

As long as you're just selling second-hand things you no longer want or need, you're okay. The taxman is only really interested in those who buy stock specifically for the purpose of selling on eBay at a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.