• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Selling tickets - an offence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddington

The tickets were advance singles, specifying which trains they were for I sold them to a fellow supporter for the price I'd paid, so I made no profit, the TOC get their money and the ticket was used. As per the opening posts, technically illegal I guess, but in reality no harm done.

If there was a chance you would be unable to attend, you should have bought flexible tickets or been prepared to discard your advance tickets. At least that's what the TOCs would like you to have done, and they would claim that they lost the difference between the price of your advance and the prices that were available to your fellow supporter.

Clip

Established Member
Actually, I think most TOCs would love to get rid of the SILK process. Certainly most ticket office staff would because it's a pain to deal with.

Oh its a pain but it serves a very useful if infrequent service and i wouldnt want o see it got rid of

6Gman

Established Member
Wasn’t there a case sometime ago where someone was possibly prosecuted for using an unused return portion of a ticker acquired by his employee for someone else and then left in a mess room for anyone to use?

There was. If I recall correctly* it was a car hire business (or similar) with branches in Bristol and Swindon. Staff sometimes needed to go one way to pick up a car; sometimes the other way. Rather than buy singles they would buy returns and leave the return halves pinned to a noticeboard.

Somehow the TOCs seem to have noticed and were taking action.

Don't think we ever heard the outcome.

* Some, many or all of the details may be wrong but this was the case in principle. And clearly something the TOCs want to avoid.

londonbridge

Established Member
If there was a chance you would be unable to attend, you should have bought flexible tickets or been prepared to discard your advance tickets. At least that's what the TOCs would like you to have done, and they would claim that they lost the difference between the price of your advance and the prices that were available to your fellow supporter.

It was fully my intention to attend when I bought the tickets, as I mentioned the change in circumstances which caused me not to attend occurred after I'd bought them.

kristiang85

Established Member
There was. If I recall correctly* it was a car hire business (or similar) with branches in Bristol and Swindon. Staff sometimes needed to go one way to pick up a car; sometimes the other way. Rather than buy singles they would buy returns and leave the return halves pinned to a noticeboard.

* Some, many or all of the details may be wrong but this was the case in principle. And clearly something the TOCs want to avoid.

lnteresting. I can't help but think if they didn't sell single tickets at near the price of returns then this wouldn't be an issue...

Clip

Established Member
lnteresting. I can't help but think if they didn't sell single tickets at near the price of returns then this wouldn't be an issue...

What would your solution be then - single leg pricing or pricing people off their day trips or weekends away?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What would your solution be then - single leg pricing or pricing people off their day trips or weekends away?
Single leg pricing. It works fine in the London area using Oyster/contactless.

Clip

Established Member
Single leg pricing. It works fine in the London area using Oyster/contactless.

Sinlgle leg pricing works in metropolitan cities due to the amount of journeys being made can cover the cost of frequent services.

However if you are going to double the price of me travelling from KX to Edinburgh then the railway has just lost a customer to either road or the dreaded coach. The railway cant afford that

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Sinlgle leg pricing works in metropolitan cities due to the amount of journeys being made can cover the cost of frequent services.

However if you are going to double the price of me travelling from KX to Edinburgh then the railway has just lost a customer to either road or the dreaded coach. The railway cant afford that
I'm not suggesting charging the current single each way. When Oyster was introduced in 2010 the single fares were set at half the existing return fares, or slightly less.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Given that most journeys are made using return tickets, single-leg pricing would not double the price of your journey in order to be revenue-neutral. I reckon if we switched to a system of singles only (with any two the same being purchasable as a return at no discount, for those who like stuff like the month-long validity and multiple overnight breaks of journey on the return half). Most likely a single would be about 55-60% of a current return, I reckon.

I strongly support single-leg pricing - it removes all sorts of issues, anomalies and the need for excesses and the likes entirely (an excess would simply be a refund and reissue in the same transaction with no £10 fee).

Clip

Established Member
I'm not suggesting charging the current single each way. When Oyster was introduced in 2010 the single fares were set at half the existing return fares, or slightly less.

Fair enough but my point still stands about longer distance journeys

Given that most journeys are made using return tickets, single-leg pricing would not double the price of your journey in order to be revenue-neutral. I reckon if we switched to a system of singles only (with any two the same being purchasable as a return at no discount, for those who like stuff like the month-long validity and multiple overnight breaks of journey on the return half). Most likely a single would be about 55-60% of a current return, I reckon.

You really think the railway would just lie down and accept that? You must be still dreaming Neil. The return fare was set as it was to encourage travel and people are now used to it and anything else will see prices go up and people move to other modes.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
India Railways has a serious problem with companies buying up the whole ticket allocation of trains, as soon as it becomes available, and then selling them on with a large price increase. The UK rule prevents that happening.

Bensonby

Legally, it is “simple” theft. The relevant case is R v Marshall, Coombes & Eren [1998] 2 Cr App R 282

34D

Established Member

But NRCOT 5.2 states

NRCOT 5.2 said:
When a Ticket is purchased on behalf of an organisation, business or similar entity, it
may be used by any person employed by that organisation, business or similar entity
unless otherwise shown on the Ticket by means of a person’s name, photocard number
or other identifying means. In such cases it may only be used by the person identified
on the Ticket.

So surely the car hire business can in fact do as proposed?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But NRCOT 5.2 states

So surely the car hire business can in fact do as proposed?
The problem is that the railway considers a return ticket on two coupons to be one ticket.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

I strongly support single-leg pricing.

I certainly would not support a 10-20% increase in fares for the majority of journeys. You must be living in cloud cuckoo land!

34D

Established Member
The problem is that the railway considers a return ticket on two coupons to be one ticket.

I'm sure that is the crux of the matter, but it would be interesting to argue the point.

mallard

Established Member
I strongly support single-leg pricing - it removes all sorts of issues, anomalies and the need for excesses and the likes entirely (an excess would simply be a refund and reissue in the same transaction with no £10 fee).

It also means that "day returns" (which are almost always the cheapest returns on any particular route) would be abolished and day-trippers would have to pay a fare much closer to that of a period return, likely decimating local day-trip traffic (which is already price sensitive due to competition from bus operators).

kristiang85

Established Member
It also means that "day returns" (which are almost always the cheapest returns on any particular route) would be abolished and day-trippers would have to pay a fare much closer to that of a period return, likely decimating local day-trip traffic (which is already price sensitive due to competition from bus operators).

I personally find it ridiculous that a day return is much cheaper than returning within 30 days - it is the same journey, same product, why should it cost more just because you're only going away for a day? Bring the price to the middle of both - day trippers pay a little more but all benefit from the flexibility. It will also help the local economies of smaller towns as people are more likely to stay the night.

I fear this is drifting off topic though.

kristiang85

Established Member
It's not the same product. With a period return, you can choose which day to return, out of the 30 available.

Well its an unnecessary extra product. What difference does it make to the railway to make one-day returns cheaper? Its not like they can suddenly add a load of extra trains in the evening if they've sold loads in the morning. Why not make 2-day returns and 7-day returns?

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Well its an unnecessary extra product. What difference does it make to the railway to make one-day returns cheaper? Its not like they can suddenly add a load of extra trains in the evening if they've sold loads in the morning. Why not make 2-day returns and 7-day returns?
That is then coming onto the difference between selling tickets on a cost-plus strategy (where everything would be on single leg pricing, with returns twice a single and no such concept as a Day Return), versus selling them on the basis of what the market will bear. The former strategy worked for the railways where it was the only feasible means of transport. Now that there is very often competition from other modes, market-based pricing is universal.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That is then coming onto the difference between selling tickets on a cost-plus strategy (where everything would be on single leg pricing, with returns twice a single and no such concept as a Day Return), versus selling them on the basis of what the market will bear. The former strategy worked for the railways where it was the only feasible means of transport. Now that there is very often competition from other modes, market-based pricing is universal.

To use a simple example, the costs that Day and Period returns are competing against are different. Imagine you have a choice of train or car to the nearest town. Then parking for a day costs less than parking for multiple days. So a Day Return is priced less partly for this reason - the price of the competition in this case is also less.

Scotty

2-day and 7-day returns are both covered by the period return...

kristiang85

Established Member
2-day and 7-day returns are both covered by the period return...

Yes but if a 1-day return is cheaper than 30 days, why not put other X-day in the middle? Obviously, the answer is because that is ridiculous. Personally I believe you buy a return from A to B, it is the same price whenever you decide to use it (but fine to keep the within 30 days rule), unless you get a discount for having an advance on a specified train.

To use a simple example, the costs that Day and Period returns are competing against are different. Imagine you have a choice of train or car to the nearest town. Then parking for a day costs less than parking for multiple days. So a Day Return is priced less partly for this reason - the price of the competition in this case is also less.

It is not really the same though, as a return ticket is still only one product you are paying for - 1x return journey. It is the same single item you are paying for if you return today, or in 5 days time. In a car park, you are paying for 5x of that product (i.e. 1x day of parking).

This is seriously off topic now, though (my fault I know <:D)

Status
Not open for further replies.