• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Senior conductor role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dno1066

Hi,
I have recently been offered a starting date for Birmingham New street under the new franchise.
Has anybody else on here or know of anyone that has recently been in the same situation?
Do you think it's still a good role to move into, with all the talk of guards being phased out with other TOC's around the country?
Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Game146

I know someone who works with LM and being TUPED over to WMT, currently there are no plans to go DOO and remove the guards.

Dno1066

I know someone who works with LM and being TUPED over to WMT, currently there are no plans to go DOO and remove the guards.

Thanks for that, do you know if that is the view from the departing LM franchise or is the actually view of the new WMR team.

12guard4

Thanks for that, do you know if that is the view from the departing LM franchise or is the actually view of the new WMR team.
That would be a view from LM Abellio would not have announced anything before they take the reins. I would be surprised if we didn't see industrial action in the Midlands as seems to be the case with all TOCs as DOO is a government backed ideology.

Class323201

The information Abellio have released which is in the public domain and also the agreement with West Midlands Rail and the consortium of councils led by the mayor is that a 2nd person will be present on all services. Obviously we do not know in what capacity the 2nd person will be.
All this aside the railway at times can be a challenging place to work but it is also a very good place to work in terms of pension, work pattern and free travel to name just a few.
The role of the guard is not going to change overnight especially where's theirs currently lots of obstacles such as station layouts and rolling stock which may not be currently suitable for DOO.
It doesn't matter what role you are in or what industry their are few jobs which are safe or for life.
Way up the pros and cons of your current role against that of what you've been offered. Make the right decision for you and good luck.

Dno1066

The information Abellio have released which is in the public domain and also the agreement with West Midlands Rail and the consortium of councils led by the mayor is that a 2nd person will be present on all services. Obviously we do not know in what capacity the 2nd person will be.
All this aside the railway at times can be a challenging place to work but it is also a very good place to work in terms of pension, work pattern and free travel to name just a few.
The role of the guard is not going to change overnight especially where's theirs currently lots of obstacles such as station layouts and rolling stock which may not be currently suitable for DOO.
It doesn't matter what role you are in or what industry their are few jobs which are safe or for life.
Way up the pros and cons of your current role against that of what you've been offered. Make the right decision for you and good luck.

Hi, thanks for the advice,I have taken the plunge and handed my notice in, new year, new challenge, just hope it turns out to be the right decision

Class323201

Congratulations and good luck. If you need any further info I'm happy to help. Their is also a wealth of information on the forum.

Class323201

Hi, thanks for the advice,I have taken the plunge and handed my notice in, new year, new challenge, just hope it turns out to be the right decision
Congratulations and good luck. If you need any further info I'm happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.