• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Serco/DRS Class 57 rumour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humberside

From wnxx.com

Serco 57s...?
It is understood that a Class 57/0, providing Freightliner are to release some for re-leasing, is to be modified to test the viability of working in push pull mode with one of the NR DBSO coaches. If successful it is supposed that a single Class 57 with DBSO could replace the use of top and tailed DRS Class 37s which ties in nicely with the rumours currently doing the rounds that DRS are after some Class 57s...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
Yeah, certainly possible I think. And would save 57s disappearing off to the scrappers!

trains2

More than a rumour I believe. It all ties in with extra nuclear fuel traffic, at the likes of Winfrith (Dorset). This location is currently being cleared out to free up space for spent fuel storage. DRS are believed to start running flask trains to Winfrith but currently don't have the locomotive availability to do so, since at least 4 37s are tied up on Serco work, possibly more. (I don't think 66s are viable on flask trains, but I don't know why - that may be a red herring).

News is that 6 Freightliner 57s, due to go off lease next month with the introduction of 66582-66593 & 66622, 66625-66627, will be snapped up by DRS and allocated to Serco trains, releasing 37s for the extra flask work.

It also ties in with MoD trains; rumour has it that Didcot yard is to see a demise in MoD workings, with the ones that are left being handed over to DRS, but we'll have to see on that one.

The Serco & 57 'rumour' is looking pretty likely though, DRS drivers have started route learning in Dorset in preperation for Winfrith. The 57s will probably stay in FL livery but with the branding removed.

1VWC

More than a rumour I believe. It all ties in with extra nuclear fuel traffic, at the likes of Winfrith (Dorset). This location is currently being cleared out to free up space for spent fuel storage. DRS are believed to start running flask trains to Winfrith but currently don't have the locomotive availability to do so, since at least 4 37s are tied up on Serco work, possibly more. (I don't think 66s are viable on flask trains, but I don't know why - that may be a red herring).
Have you seen Toytown (sorry Kingmoor) recently?! Less than half the fleet doing something at any one time with the rest spare. They are more than able to resource extra work without fleet enlargement.

66s are more than 'viable' as demonstrated by their appearances on Torness, Hunterston and Valley workings in recent times. However, use isn't widespread as they are more useful on intermodal workings.

The 57s will probably stay in FL livery but with the branding removed.
For the trials maybe.

1VWC

I have seen DRS advertise for drivers at Bicester recently in the likes of RAIL, supporting the MoD rumour
Just because the company is advertising for staff doesn't mean they have been successful...
A company is in a better position when bidding for a contract if staff are available and ready to go. I can't say for certain but it may be an understanding that staff will only be taken on if the contract is awarded.

trains2

Have you seen Toytown (sorry Kingmoor) recently?! Less than half the fleet doing something at any one time with the rest spare. They are more than able to resource extra work without fleet enlargement.

No, no idea what that is, but I would've thought DRS are thinking into the future. 57s with the re-engineered engines are likely to last longer and require less maintenance than 20s/37s/47s, which looking at the state of some EWS locos are on borrowed time! I'm forever hearing that the Serco has failed down here when it visits.

I assume that with this 'surplus' fleet not doing anything that they are all in working order and could be called upon at anytime? Or perhaps DRS are just looking for 'hire in' locos for the Serco. After all it's operated by Network Rail and they hire in 37s from DRS, so if 57/0s are going to be made redundant anyway, even though there's nowt wrong with them, then leasing to DRS seems a good idea for hire-ins on the Serco.

DRS are done ordering 66s, so they are stuck with what they've got for the future, and if a predicted rise in nuclear and MoD traffic occurs, then the 57s will fit in nicely on Serco duties.

66s are more than 'viable' as demonstrated by their appearances on Torness, Hunterston and Valley workings in recent times. However, use isn't widespread as they are more useful on intermodal workings.

That is probably the reason, 75mph good reliable locos on 1 wagon makes no sense.

1VWC

DRS are done ordering 66s, so they are stuck with what they've got for the future, and if a predicted rise in nuclear and MoD traffic occurs, then the 57s will fit in nicely on Serco duties.
Who says they are 'done ordering 66s'? After 66421-430 are delivered there is an option with EMD for another 10.

As for the rest, you include a lot of 'if' 'perhaps' and 'maybe' so why not stop speculating and wait and see what happens!

trains2

Who says they are 'done ordering 66s'? After 66421-430 are delivered there is an option with EMD for another 10.

As for the rest, you include a lot of 'if' 'perhaps' and 'maybe' so why not stop speculating and wait and see what happens!

Ah but if we did not speculate then what is there to discuss? Whatever the reason DRS want these 57s for it must be good. They're obviously looking to expand into further areas, and to develop their current traffic. 6 57s
& 10 (or possibly 20 if you say so) new 66s aren't being leased in/bought for the hell of it.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
But to replace 37's! I though people would be angry with it.

DRS are a company who run trains for business. They do not care if a few spotters are going to be "angry that they replaced their 37s". To DRS a 37 is just a way to move their trains from A to B.

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.