• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SERCO test train speed limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

A bit of a long shot for workings in the early 2000's, but I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what the testing speed limit would have been on the Serco Test Train please?

The year is 2003 when they had a week circuit on the Dorset/Hampshire region, using 4 coaches and TnT Class 47s. The traction is limited to 95mph but for the timings given, it's way too fast. At a guess from timings I'd say around 75mph - 80mph and I *think* this is the speed limit for today's test trains, but then they have Class 37s on sometimes too so 80mph would be their limit.

Would the Class 47s be limited or could they work up to line speed and it's just a case of rather slack timings?

Cheers,

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I believe the NMT can do 125 mph where line speed permits :smile:

Rich_D3167

When it comes to the loco hauled track recording jobs, the max speed that can go at is 30 MPH.

That's when the train is recording. When the train isn't recording, it's really as fast as the line or traction will allow.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Ahh so It didn't record every piece of track I take it?

For example:

>0525 Brockenhurst(plat 4)
>0534/42 Lymington Pier(rev)

Do-able at 30mph I'd say, however on the return it's booked 9 minutes again, but I doubt it records the other way on a single line?

then:

>0458/0501 EH(rev - plat 3)
>0512 Soton(plat 3)
>0525 Brockenhurst(plat 4)

No way at 30mph, I suspect then it's a 'positioning' move to Brockenhurst? After that it is headed for Derby via Woking so I suspect 95mph is in running then?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Recording is normally 30mph for trains like the UTU, depending on the unit it can transit at either 60mph (we designate as UTU3T) or 75mph (we designate as UTU24T). Grinders are normally 8 mph I think. NMT is up to full line speed. Plain line pattern recognition (PLPR or plopper) are 95mph I think, these are fairly new though, Hydro is bound to know the full details.

Hydro

Established Member
When it comes to the loco hauled track recording jobs, the max speed that can go at is 30 MPH.

Balls is it. That's for Ultrasonic workings. Track recording can go as fast as the stock/line/formation allows.

UTU's are 30mph test, 75mph transit, except for 3 which is 60mph (this may have changed, work has been ongoing)

Track recording trains are just limited by brake force/haulage. All coaches are 100mph capable, obviously NMT is HST 125. Loco haulage normally with 90mph capable engines in push/pull formation (31, 73, 37/6, 67, DBSO) except in special circumstances or not required.

Structure gauging train is 75mph transit, 50mph record.

MENTOR is 100mph, will slot into any formation.

The unit is 75mph as per a normal Sprinter, again subject to 5mph below linespeed between certain linespeed ranges due to changed brake system)

PLPR will allegedly still record at 125mph, so it shouldn't have any effect.

Most of this won't have changed since SERCO days.

Timings certainly now, and I can't see it being any different then, tend to have a fair amount of slack in them.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
PLPR can do 125 ?? nice of them to tell us, I don't think any of them are timed higher than 95.

Hydro

Established Member
PLPR can do 125 ?? nice of them to tell us, I don't think any of them are timed higher than 95.

I'm sure someone mentioned it at some point, it could be that they are going to make it 125 capable - it's still very early doors at the mo.

Status
Not open for further replies.