• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seroxat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salfordseven

Can I pass a medical whilst taking 20mg of this a day. Thanks for all replies in advance. PTS inital.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
I think it depends on the reason for taking them. The doctor may well ask you a lot of probing questions and then you're in his hands. Sorry, but it's like answering "How long's a piece of string?" Good luck though.

Alan1310

You will not be able to do any safety critical work on any kind of ssri

LCC106

Established Member
Thought it depended which type it was? I've not looked in to seroxat but as I understand, there are 2 different types of anti-depressant and it's the older type that causes the problems. Alan1310 seems more in the know so forgive me if I'm wrong - just thought it all depended on which type and what it was prescribed for since, as I understand it, it's not always prescribed for depression but for other purposes too...

Established Member
You'll be asked on the medical if you are talking any type of drug, prescription or otherwise. It is always better to tell them that you are taking medication, rather than them finding out later on after the drug and alcohol test.

SouthStand

Can't comment on the laws within the industry, but as a registered pharmacy technician I can say there are broadly two main types of anti-depressants around.

The older ones such as amitriptyline and dosulepin (known as the tricyclics because of their three (or more) benzene rings in the molecular structure) are lesser used for depression nowadays, although some like amitriptyline are seeing a comeback for different indications such as neuralgia (nerve pain).

The newer ones are mainly composed of the SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) e.g. citalopram and paroxetine (Seroxat), and NSRIs like venlafaxine.

There, you've probably all learnt something :)

Alan1310

I am no pharmacist but I am a mental health nurse ssri's have there own issues I know certain doses can stop you driving a car let alone a train. Although most side effects are usually gone within the 6 week settling in period but I know several service users who still struggle big time with dizziness and drowsy spells not to mention the insomnia

Status
Not open for further replies.