• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Service alterations for a trip in Easter 2016!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

I know there's no way of knowing this far ahead, but I'm more after the general trend.

There's an ultramarathon in Llanelli on Easter Saturday next year that I'm half thinking about doing. Thing is, it'll require me to travel down of Good Friday and back on Easter Sunday.

I'm wondering if the general trend is that there is a severely reduced service during Easter. I wouldn't normally travel by train during the holiday periods as I'm normally ferrying my family around by car instead, but this is an interesting opportunity to do an event I wouldn't normally be able to get to without taking time off work.

This year I ran a marathon in Milton Keynes on Good Friday and had no option but to drive due to the fun and/or games at Watford.

What are train services like on South Transpennine, XC and South Wales during the Easter season, normally?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

krus_aragon

Established Member
Easter, like Christmas is commonly used for doing major infrastructure upgrades, so "normal" Easter service provision isn't much of a guide, it's a case of what needs to be done that year.

I do, however, believe that such major work is planned very far in advance, so someone here may be able to tell you if anything's already been planned.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
ATW normally run the normal service over Easter, but there again, Engineering Work can affect. Although previously said, major disruption may be announced well in advance, some details may not be known until 12 weeks before.

Hophead

Established Member
Great Western Electrification might have an impact but they may be concentrating on work east of Bristol Parkway over the next 12 months.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You could always get to LLanelli via the Heart of Wales line if the GWML is closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.