• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Service Engineer shifts and rosters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

8rwg

So I’m looking to retrain and looking at apprenticeships as a service engineer.

Finding it frustrating that many descriptions are only listing how many hours a week. For example the ones with South Eastern simply state

> 35 hours per week (subject to travelling while attending courses etc). From year 2 onwards you may begin working shifts, which consists of 4 days on and then 4 days off.

But nothing about the times of day.

Am I right to assume this would mostly be night shift based as that is when most trains will be out of operation. Of course different depots will have different shifts depending on their needs - a 24hr service like Thameslink is obviously very different to say a branch line service- But I’m wondering if anyone could suggest what a typical shift patterns might look like for this role?

cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bosch91

Recently went through interview for a rolling stock engineer, although it was for already qualified/skilled.
I took from that the norm is 2/3rds of the shifts are nights.
But as you said depots will have many different shift patterns.

8rwg

Recently went through interview for a rolling stock engineer, although it was for already qualified/skilled.
I took from that the norm is 2/3rds of the shifts are nights.
But as you said depots will have many different shift patterns.
Can I ask which depot this was for?

Corner

Depends on the company and position as Bosch91 said, and has been in my experience.

Worked for one company in production (exams mainly) and did an even split of days and nights. Currently on an overhaul project which is earlies and lates.

I know SouthEastern have a particularly odd nightshift of 1830-0430 making it no good for people travelling by train.
the reason I didn’t apply for a position there.

And I’ve worked for three different TOC’s and two were an even split between days and nights and one was days/lates/nights evenly split.

8rwg

I know SouthEastern have a particularly odd nightshift of 1830-0430 making it no good for people travelling by train.
the reason I didn’t apply for a position there.

And I’ve worked for three different TOC’s and two were an even split between days and nights and one was days/lates/nights evenly split.
Thanks - do you know what the day and late shift is?

I don’t think there was a late shift, it was both Ramsgate and Slade Green is looked at.
The day was 0700-1700 or 0800-1800 of something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.