• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Services with First Class but First Class tickets unavailable for purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
If the timetable has no first class on the service then surely you can sit in first class anyway, even with a standard class tickets?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
If the timetable has no first class on the service then surely you can sit in first class anyway, even with a standard class tickets?
Unless the TOC chooses to take that part of the train out of use, yes.

Cdd89

Established Member
A related example I’ve often wondered about is the Heathrow Express, for which inter-terminal travel is free of charge but in express class only.

A Challenge

Established Member
There is no first class ticket valid on the Heathrow inter-terminal transfer, unless a 1st class travelcard season (minimum price £38.30/week) is valid, it wouldn't be through to London Paddington, but I don't know about the inter-terminal shuttle!

Cdd89

Established Member
Interesting - I guess a different way of asking the question would be, what (legally) makes a standard class journey between terminals free (and more importantly, valid to undertake), whereas a first class journey is not, bearing in mind that according to BRFares there is no quoted reason for either?

I suspect there’s a very obvious answer (e.g. NRCoC makes provision for permission to travel and free express transfers are advertised). But I would be interested to know definitively...

Also, I suspect the answer may have changed now LHR is in a gated area and terminal transfer tickets are needed. ...

A Challenge

Established Member
I think that as they are allowed to give free travel as you mention the NRCoC and this can require some evidence that you have been given permission by staff, which is in this case the terminal transfer ticket does, which is instead of a written note from a person or 'the man on the platform said...'

Status
Not open for further replies.