• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Set down only services at Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Around half nine tonight a London-bound service arrived at platform 8 (neé 5) which was amounced several times as being set-down only. What was this, and why set-down only (not something we're used to in Reading)? I assume it's something to do with the sports day thing in Essex?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

Looking at swlines this would be 1L93 1950 FGW Cardiff Central to London Paddington calling at Bristol Parkway, Swindon, Didcot and Reading to set down at all of them. Not shown in FGW timetables so no idea why it's running!

sonic2009

Established Member
The set down only service was most likely an additional service for the Olympics due to the Football taking place at the Millenium Stadium this afternoon.

34D

Established Member
Around half nine tonight a London-bound service arrived at platform 8 (neé 5) which was amounced several times as being set-down only. What was this, and why set-down only (not something we're used to in Reading)? I assume it's something to do with the sports day thing in Essex?

Off-topic, but are there still one or two up services that don't call at Reading at all? Does reading still have a through road for them to use?

Is the up sleeper set down only at reading?

richw

Veteran Member
Off-topic, but are there still one or two up services that don't call at Reading at all? Does reading still have a through road for them to use?

It always used to be, unsure if this has changed in recent times though

sonic2009

Established Member

The sleeper is set down only, and I believe one service from Bristol Temple Meads in the morning is non-stop through Reading.

richw

Veteran Member
All paddington to west of England services are marked with a "u" at reading - stops to pick up only. This is in my timetable I downloaded from fgw website. Timetable 4 valid until 14th sept

flymo

Established Member
All paddington to west of England services are marked with a "u" at reading - stops to pick up only. This is in my timetable I downloaded from fgw website. Timetable 4 valid until 14th sept

There are some services marked in the National Rail TT as pick-up only but certainly not all.

Take the 09:06 from Paddington - Newquay for example which is marked in the FGW TT as pick up only, it is not marked as such in the NRTT and is bookable on the FGW website.

Having said that the 10:06 IS shown as pick-up only in the NRTT and the FGW TT and is also bookable online from Paddington - Reading.

Take your pick there.......:D

(all of the above refers to Mon-Fri)

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The sleeper is set down only at reading? so why does nationalrail suggest i get the last XC to reading from sheffield and joining the sleeper to plymouth there when i visit family?
That sounded harsh and sarcastic, i was just asking if it was an error :P

johnnychips

Established Member
The sleeper is set down only at reading? so why does nationalrail suggest i get the last XC to reading from sheffield and joining the sleeper to plymouth there when i visit family?
That sounded harsh and sarcastic, i was just asking if it was an error :P

Set down coming into London, not out to Cornwall?

richw

Veteran Member
There are some services marked in the National Rail TT as pick-up only but certainly not all.

Take the 09:06 from Paddington - Newquay for example which is marked in the FGW TT as pick up only, it is not marked as such in the NRTT and is bookable on the FGW website.

Having said that the 10:06 IS shown as pick-up only in the NRTT and the FGW TT and is also bookable online from Paddington - Reading.

Take your pick there.......:D

(all of the above refers to Mon-Fri)

Sorry should have put all monday to friday are marked, i didnt look at weekend timetables

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm not aware of any regular trains other than the sleeper advertised as pu/sd at Reading, certainly Cornwall trains get as many Reading<>London passengers as any other train.

The non-stop services generally do use the centre line unless it's occupied or they come in on the relief lines.

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info guys.

I'm not aware of any regular trains other than the sleeper advertised as pu/sd at Reading, certainly Cornwall trains get as many Reading<>London passengers as any other train.

The non-stop services generally do use the centre line unless it's occupied or they come in on the relief lines.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/...d train times/Planned Changes/TT04UPDATED.pdf this is my source of the "pick up only" at reading. nearly all ervices marked with a "u"

flymo

Established Member
During the summer months, on Saturdays there are many services from Paddington to the south west that pick-up only at Reading. These also seem to be not bookable locally between Paddington and Reading.

All except the 07:30 Paddington to Penzance 16:30 to Paignton then 19:06 onward are noted in the NRTT as pick-up only on Saturdays.

In this respect regarding the Saturday service the online FGW TTs quoted by richw are correct. For the Monday to Friday service between Paddington and Reading on the quoted TT they most certainly are NOT correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.