• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Setting off without a guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromley boy

Established Member
The TOC I work for already use not to be moved boards for cleaners on board at some locations as well as fitters.

There's nothing to say that a train couldn't be dispatched with NTM boards on currently.

If trains are being dispatched and moved with any NTM board on, that says more about the training of those involved in the dispatch process.

This must vary by TOC.

We are shot if we so much as put a key onto a unit with a NTM board.

I’m not what the rulebook position is...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
Aye, plenty of ways a Guard can go missing en route.
Driver hearing the bells off another unit is quite a common one.
Driver getting interlock and going without waiting for the buzzer.
A door malfunctions after the Guard has given two, so they get off the train to kick it shut, driver gets interlock, sends two back and goes.
No bell/buzzer working so dispatch is being done on bat and flags, the platform staff give the flag to the driver before the Guard gives it to them.
Platform staff misidentify the Guard and think he's given them the tip so illuminate the RA.
Passenger has access to an active door control panel and gives the bells without the Guard being aware.
Guard falls out of an open door en route, or in one case, jumped.
Guard (or indeed Driver) gets on the wrong train, or it gets diverted so whilst they are on board they don't sign the route that that train is actually going.

If you can think that it *could* happen, it probably has.

Whats the story here then?

Scotrail84

Established Member
I know of two occasions where a guard has been left behind at a station. One where both driver and guard were not at fault and another where dispatch staff were completely at fault, thats all I'm able to say.

Dren Ahmeti

Some fine member of the Aylesbury drinking community pre 1995 , gave the right away to a late evening Marylebone DMU - only to decant at Stoke Mandeville. Guard caught up the train in a hastily summoned taxi
Driver patiently awaiting in the cab.....then walked back to find "no guard" for a few moments.
Rumour has it that one of my friends once dispatched a LUL train at Hatton Cross by sticking his hand out of the door and giving a whistle!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Please read the post I wrote half an hour ago. They do block the sensors. That’s part of what the raised bar is for. There are also other functions which disable the auto close at appropriate locations.

There is indeed another way to stop some doors auto closing on the 700s, without a ramp, but the driver would (depending on the location) dispatch as normal with no idea staff were still on the train.

I expect you could use the guard panel to call the driver, but that would take time. Otherwise doing a luggage assist and helping someone to a seat does carry a very high risk of staff being carried to the next station.

Status
Not open for further replies.