• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settle Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulJ

Hi all
I'm travelling up to the Lakes next month and quite like the idea of getting the Settle Carlisle under my belt. How far in advance are Advance tickets available? I'm not entirely certain yet which day of the week I'll want to travel as this may be weather dependent. Would an Advance ticket be available on the day before I travel?
For info, I'll be up there week commencing 10 May.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cool110

The general rule for advances is 12 week so they're already out for all of May and, they should still be available the day before unless they sell out.

If you haven't already you may also want to consider the North West Round Robin which assuming you start from Oxenholme Lake District or Penrith North Lakes will cover everything on one ticket for £37.50 and also lets you go to Lancaster, Preston, Blackburn Bradford and Leeds.

PaulJ

Thanks for that. I guess the key for me is "unless they sell out". I'll be visiting Keighley on the 10th - is there anyone in the know that could say with any certainty whether Advance tickets would still be available on that date. Alternatively (and excuse my ignorance) I guess I could purchase online now. If I chose that option, what would happen were I to purchase tickets for the Tuesday and then decide to travel on the Weds? I guess that's a big no no?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The thread title says "Settle Carlisle" but it's unclear if either station is your origin or destination?

Advance tickets are only available for selected flows, and are only valid on the date and time shown on the ticket or reservation coupons accompanying the ticket (and, where applicable, appropriate connecting services).

cool110

Looking at this Friday there's still many trains with the cheapest ones left (£10.50 each way) so it doesn't seem likely that they'll all sell out.
As for changing your plans, you have to use them on the exact date and time you booked them for unless you get them amended beforehand which will involve paying a £10 admin fee in addition to the difference (if any) between the old and new tickets. On the day it could only be done before the booked train departs and would be to the anytime single at £24.80 or return at £30.90 but losing the value of one of the advance tickets.

Keighley is on the round robin so that's still a good option if you can't commit to a date and time and/or want to explore a bit.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are you saying you're travelling to Keighley by other means, and while staying in Keighley you require tickets from Keighley to Carlisle via Settle?

Established Member
PaulJ:2140081 said:
Thanks for that. I guess the key for me is "unless they sell out". I'll be visiting Keighley on the 10th - is there anyone in the know that could say with any certainty whether Advance tickets would still be available on that date. Alternatively (and excuse my ignorance) I guess I could purchase online now. If I chose that option, what would happen were I to purchase tickets for the Tuesday and then decide to travel on the Weds? I guess that's a big no no?
If you book advances you have to travel on the booked train on the booked day. You can buy walk up tickets now but Northern don't offer seat reservations so no point.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A 'walk-up' Anytime Day Return (SDR) from Keighley to Carlisle routed via Appleby is £30.90.

I would just purchase this on the day of travel, that way you can choose to travel on a day of your choice (with nice weather hopefully), and you might want to break your journey somewhere.

Veteran Member
Advances start at 10.50 and go up to 14.50 each way.
Given our unpredictable local weather, I'd wait till I got there and see whether there's one of the cheaper fares for when you want. If not, I'd go with Yorkie on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.