• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settle Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

Just seen a steam train, unsure of anymore details going through Saltaire.

Going on the settle/carlisle line. Anyone know what it is or where it's heading?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I can't find any steam railtours that are booked to run today in the vicinity of West Yorkshire. It could be more likely that it is an empty coaching stock working to Carnforth, rather than a trip up the S&C.

EltonRoad

This would be 61194 The Great Marquess doing a light engine move from Barrow Hill to Thornton TC (5Z98 Settle Jn 1304, Carlisle 1512 - 1530, Thornton 2155).

Ready for Sunday's Great Britain V when it takes half of the train - five coaches + support, so I heard - from Thornton Junction to Fort William, then onto Mallaig on the Monday.

4SRKT

Established Member
I thought light engine kettle moves (in steam) had been banned by Network Rail following last year's disgraceful arson episode on the ECML involving Sir Lamiel and Oliver Cromwell.

EltonRoad

Arson? ;)

Never heard that. I thought it sparked a ban on weekday steam on the ECML which is about to be or has been lifted. There are a huge number of light engine moves listed on uksteam.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I thought light engine kettle moves (in steam) had been banned by Network Rail following last year's disgraceful arson episode on the ECML involving Sir Lamiel and Oliver Cromwell.

No such ban in place, you thought wrong!

Crossover

Established Member
Arson? ;)

Never heard that. I thought it sparked a ban on weekday steam on the ECML which is about to be or has been lifted. There are a huge number of light engine moves listed on uksteam.

No such ban in place, you thought wrong!

From what I recall of the threeads last year, I think 4SRKT is being somewhat jovial - I seem to recall they wanted them banned after they set fire to half of Yorkshire last year ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Not at all! There was a ban on mainline steam usage of certain sections of the ECML on weekdays. (In fact it wasnt even that stark. There always was , and still is, a path out of Kings Cross for steam charters which can be used on certain conditions.)

Just recently I have seen Tornado at Kings Cross with a weekeday charter for York (check oput my flickr), 44932, 34067 Tangmere & 70013 Oliver Cromwell all passing MKC

mac

We turned the heating off and took the chair outside,anything to save money

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Not at all! There was a ban on mainline steam usage of certain sections of the ECML on weekdays. (In fact it wasnt even that stark. There always was , and still is, a path out of Kings Cross for steam charters which can be used on certain conditions.)

Just recently I have seen Tornado at Kings Cross with a weekeday charter for York (check oput my flickr), 44932, 34067 Tangmere & 70013 Oliver Cromwell all passing MKC

The ban has been lifted for DB but no agreement has yet been met for WCRC. Tornado is DB at moment so can operate midwekk on ECML.

Crossover

Established Member
What happened when parts of Yorkshire were "Set alight"?

There were (I think two) steam charters that had things left open (I forget exactly what now)

Long and short was hot materials that should have been kept in the engine were expelled into the line, and with it being rather hot and dry, subsequently set fire to copious amounts of lineside vegetation and ground the ECML to a complete halt!

We turned the heating off and took the chair outside,anything to save money

:lol:

sprinterguy

Established Member
There were (I think two) steam charters that had things left open (I forget exactly what now)

Long and short was hot materials that should have been kept in the engine were expelled into the line, and with it being rather hot and dry, subsequently set fire to copious amounts of lineside vegetation and ground the ECML to a complete halt!
It was a light engine move from York to Southall with 70013 "Oliver Cromwell" and 30777 "Sir Lamiel" on September 2nd last year. The crew neglected to close the ash pan doors on "Sir Lamiel", so as you say it went on it's merry way depositing the contents of its' firebox down the ECML from York, causing grass fires along the lineside.

Here is the original thread, with all it's many irate comments about banning steam engines from trunk routes immediately ;):
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51472&page=4

And here is a highly amusing "spoof" news report that 4SRKT made about the event at around the same time:
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51500

Status
Not open for further replies.