• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Schnellzug

Established Member
Malvern has been the home of two British musical luminaries; Cher Lloyd off of X Factor, and Sir Edward Elgar, British composer and Master of the King's Musick, who lived much of his life around Malvern. Sir Edward Elgar had two locomotives named after him (Cher Lloyd hasn't yet, but I trust FGW will be on to it soon), and of those, no. 50007 can today be found at the Midland railway, Butterley, Derbyshire. :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
I regret to say that I feel a less interesting one coming on.

Derby is the traditional main centre of Derbyshire (duh!). Of course, whether that is still true with Derby being unitary is another matter.

gg1

Established Member
The Rolls Royce Merlin Engine was designed and built in Derby, most famously the Merlin powered the Spitfire, the main manufacturing site for which was at Castle Bromwich.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You have come up with a somewhat difficult one here......

In the 12th century, Baxenden (now famous for Hollands Pies) was known by another name, (Bastanedenclough), whereas Bursledon was also known in the 12th century by a different name, (Brixendona)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A chemical factory by the name of Baxenden can be found in Droitwich Spa by the railway station.

Ivo

Established Member
I missed all the Welsh :(

Dorchester is also a county town in a county whose name is derived from the settlement but not actually named "[Settlement]shire".

Ivo

Established Member
Defford, a small village roughly halfway between Evesham and Great Malvern, also has a name that is almost identical to a location in Pokémon :lol:

For those who don't know, which is probably all of you, the Third Generation area of Hoenn has places in it called Dewford Town and Fortree City.

Ivo

Established Member
:shock: I had to look that up (it's not even in my Atlas, although I suspect that it's in my large scale one)...

The B5392 runs from Jodrell Bank to the outskirts of Macclesfield.

Ivo

Established Member
Am I too old at 66 to ask if Ash and Misty are still entering the contests?

:shock: You can never be too old to ask something like that! :p I can't say I expected it though. Seen as you did ask, Misty left the series in 2003, and it hasn't been the same without her :cry: She is far and away my favourite human character from the franchise, and - :oops: - the only fictional character I have ever had a crush on. One of her favourite Pokémon, Starmie*, also serves as my personal favourite (again by an absolute mile), only she never really knew how to use it, whereas I do all too well...

As an amusing little add-on to this, there was once a Live show, a musical, which was sadly canned before its first showing over here. In it, Misty gave a beautiful song about love (about Ash obviously, although this is never actually referenced in the lyrical majority of the piece, only the non-lyrical introduction and conclusion), which I know by heart. Amazingly, it is the only "pop" song in existence I can say that for! Lyrics below :lol:

Oh, and no prizes for guessing what has just been given the honour of the first media to have been played on my new laptop! :D

Unfortunately the actual MP3 file is too large to upload. It is, or at least was, available as a free download though. In Germany however, it was released as a commercial single!

*I am now highly tempted to change my avatar, having had my Solo pic for ages and now had two others in four weeks. Again, no prizes for guessing what to!

Anyway, back to the quiz.....Leigh and Macclesfield both have a silk-weaving tradition.

Where Leigh is projected to have a BRT system in the near future (why...?), Crawley already does.

Attachments

• Misty's Song (Lyrics).doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: