• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Schnellzug

Established Member
Guildford was where Ford Prefect claimed to come from in The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, although he was actually from a small planet in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.
Oh, Betelgeuse doesn't count? Ok, the Ford Prefect was a popular make of 1960s Car, which were manufactured in Dagenham, in Essex.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eagle

Established Member
Guildford was where Ford Prefect claimed to come from in The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, although he was actually from a small planet in the vicinity of Betelgeuse.
Oh, Betelgeuse doesn't count? Ok, the Ford Prefect was a popular make of 1960s Car, which were manufactured in Dagenham, in Essex.

Too slow :P Still on Blandford

Schnellzug

Established Member
Yes, i saw that. While there's not so much that can be said about Blandford, it is, however, home to the Badger Brewery, in which respect it shares something in common (breweries, if not badgers) with Burton-on-Trent.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
And Crawley football club's success has been largely due to the financial largesse of a man who formerly funded Boston Utd, before it all went horribly, if deservedly, wrong. In the season Boston belatedly had points deducted for malpractise, but were still allowed to go up to the league (I forget the exact details, so this may be slightly inaccurate as a precis).

Anyway the point is, the team who were denied a rightful league place by the Boston cheats was Dagenham and Redbridge, who, then as now, play in Dagenham - to where all roads lead, evidently

Schnellzug

Established Member
Excavations at Durrington Walls found evidence of a number of antedeluvian dwellings. Some of the homes excavated showed evidence of a cobb wall and their own ancillary building, and in this respect were remarkably similar in layout to a house at Skara Brae in Orkney. :o

Bedpan

Established Member
Lyme Regis - also has a cobb wall (assuming that the house in Skara Brae had one).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Luton (well, the Luton borough anyway) is one of the few other areas to have two separate single-digit A-roads passing through it.

Sorry to be a spoiler but I don't think that the A5 encroaches into the Luton Borough Council area, it goes through Dunstable which is in Mid Bedfordshire DC.

Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
If this was QI that so would have been buzzed. Cambridge to/from Oxford must be the most common link we've made.

Anyhow, the number 7 bus from Cambridge runs to what is surely the most pleasant town in my home county, the beautifully named Saffron Walden.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hmm... Four I think. Not as bad as I'd thought.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Oxford can also claim to have one of the best local bus networks outside London.

In which they've apparently installed hidden microphones to eavesdrop on passengers' conversations. Oxford Bus Company: brought to you by the Stasi.

Anyway, to continue, the name 'Harbledown' is thought likely to be the medieval village of 'Bobbe-up-and-doun', which is where Chaucer and his pilgrims rested on the way to Canterbury. It was so-called because the road was of poor quality and would 'bob up and down'. Later this became Harbledown.

Another town to have roads of poor quality and standards of maintenance is Weymouth, Dorset, England, or at least that's the impression you'd get from the local paper, where "HELL FOR MOTORISTS" was the lead story on the website the other day.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Holyhead and Dover are both ferry ports at the end of single digit roads (A5 and A2 respectively).

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Manchester and London have orbital motorways (well the M25 isn't exactly orbital). ;)

gg1

Established Member
Croydon and Hounslow were both at one time the site of international airports.

----------------------

EDIT

Beaten too it, on to Halifax then:

Scarborough is also home to a football club formed from the ashes of a former league club which went out of business.

Ivo

Established Member
Lincoln is another place I had a Uni interview that led to nothing :lol:

In which they've apparently installed hidden microphones to eavesdrop on passengers' conversations. Oxford Bus Company: brought to you by the Stasi.

I thought that was the taxis?