• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

High Dyke

Established Member
Dyffryn Hall, a
Georgian period manor house, is situated to the west of the village; it was home to Clement Davies, the Montgomeryshire MP and leader of the post-war Liberal Party between 1945 and 1956. He died on 23rd March 1962, aged 78, at Montgomery in Powys.

I wonder if he ever visited Bunner the chandler, immortalised in song by Half Man Half Biscuit.
“And so returning to the car at Snailbeach, I set off in the direction of Montgomery, where I was more than certain my need would be met by Bunner the chandler who sold everything.”
http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/a-to-z-bunner-the-chandler/

Amongst the many places also referenced by HMHB is Westward Ho! However the boys considered it a massive letdown.
“Westward Ho! (What a letdown)”
http://halfmanhalfbiscuit.uk/urge-for-offal/westward-ho-what-a-letdown/

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Edward Tegla Davies (1880 - 1967) was a Methodist Minister and writer, who was born on 31st May 1880 at Hen Giât, Llandegla, Denbingshire. He died on 9th October 1967 and was buried in Gelli Cemetery, Tregarth. Gwynedd.

DerekC

Established Member
Bishopbriggs gave its name to a type of sandstone quarried there. A very similar sandstone from the same geological formation is quarried in Dungannon, Co Tyrone

DerekC

Established Member
Charles Darwin was born in Shrewsbury in 1809, He died in 1882 at Downe in Kent, probably of Chagal's disease, a parasitic infection he may have contracted in Argentina in 1835.